Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th July 2015

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts
Adobe pricing

I can get educational prices for adobe software, I do not want to go the subscription route so made contact for prices to upgrade
Elements and lightroom or purchase new dependant on prices. Was told that Lightroom does not have an educational price so 104:00, then told I had to buy the elements bundle video and stills package for 86 :00 or maybe possible to get elements 13 on its own for 75 : 00! All the time I kept getting a link to purchase the CC subscription for only 8 : 57 a month so no discount there either, on questioning this I was told it is a special offer which could be withdrawn at any time I asked was that the offer or the educational discount price, confusion and a reposting of the
Iink. I then told them Elements 13 is listed in this months digital photo @ 60 and Lightroom6 @ & 104. Guess what? Yes a link to CC @8:57 mo. So it seems the so called Educational discounts do not really exist! Rant over! Going out with camera .

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 15th July 2015

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts
Re: Adobe pricing

If the cost is an issue, dump Adobe and use something else. It's not going to get any better.
Old 15th July 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

I gave up on Adobe more than a year ago. They are just like some of the other large US corporations; they think they are Gods or something like that. I bought Paint Shop Pro X7, and I've never looked back! It was about 86 and it does more than Elements and Lightroom together. And it's reliable.

Adobe are like AutoDesk. Try buying AutoCAD. It's an outrageous price. Result? A consortium developed a cheap version, forgotten the name, now marketed as various variants, like ProgeCAD and QCAD. Who needs to pay AutoCAD prices when you can get perfectly adequate alternatives for a tenth of the price?
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithL For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (20th July 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (20th July 2015)
Old 15th July 2015

Yes. A lot of people did the same.
But those who spent a lot on Adobe feel they need to recommend it 'because it's the industry standard ".
Not realising that the more that use it, the more arrogant Adobe get.
KeithL (17th July 2015)
Old 15th July 2015

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
I bought Paint Shop Pro X7, and I've never looked back! It was about 86 and it does more than Elements and Lightroom together. And it's reliable.
Similarly, my office uses WordPerfect X7 (also from the Corel stable) and it's so much more intuitive and cheaper than the dreaded Word! Successive secretaries ask why they've not come across iit before!

Andrew
Old 15th July 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
I then told them Elements 13 is listed in this months digital photo @ 60 and Lightroom6 @ & 104. Guess what? Yes a link to CC @8:57 mo. So it seems the so called Educational discounts do not really exist! Rant over! Going out with camera .
I bought Elements only a week ago on Amazon for 39.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miketoll For This Useful Post:
Wee man (15th July 2015)
Old 16th July 2015

Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Riddell View Post
Similarly, my office uses WordPerfect X7 (also from the Corel stable) and it's so much more intuitive and cheaper than the dreaded Word! Successive secretaries ask why they've not come across iit before!

Andrew
Word perfect used to be the market leader back in the late 80's/90's on DOS/windows 3.11 until microsoft did word

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye
KeithL (17th July 2015)
Old 16th July 2015

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Yes, I was a WP evangelist until Word muscled in everywhere!
I still hanker after that lovely uncluttered blue screen, and I still use all the keyboard shortcuts!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 16th July 2015

Yes. I think they got left behind when Windows and Word for Windows came out.
It's good that Corel kept that, and other apps going. I used Corel Draw! a lot back then. Which, along with Macromedia Freehand and to some extent Micrographx Draw, were by far the best. And Adobe illustrator was pretty poor. No transparency. No interactive handles etc.. Yet it had a big market share, just because Photoshop users had it, and didn't know any better. Later Adobe bought Macromedia and gained Flash and Freehand. And Illustrator caught up.
KeithL (17th July 2015)
Old 16th July 2015
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Feel free to criticise Adobe but Lightroom, especially, is in my view very hard to beat.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
sapper (16th July 2015)
Old 16th July 2015

They could produce a light version. Priced for the occasional user and not just a price for full time professionals.
They could produce a Linux version.
Old 16th July 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
I gave up on Adobe more than a year ago. They are just like some of the other large US corporations; they think they are Gods or something like that. I bought Paint Shop Pro X7, and I've never looked back! It was about 86 and it does more than Elements and Lightroom together. And it's reliable.

Adobe are like AutoDesk. Try buying AutoCAD. It's an outrageous price. Result? A consortium developed a cheap version, forgotten the name, now marketed as various variants, like ProgeCAD and QCAD. Who needs to pay AutoCAD prices when you can get perfectly adequate alternatives for a tenth of the price?

I went the Paintshop Pro X7 route just before last Xmas. It cost me less than 40. Is yours the 'Ultimate' version?

As a learner in photo editing I've found it OK, although cloning seems easier and 'better' in the Olympus editor. One beef is that X7 is based on Inches rather than the European 'A' based paper sizing however If I crop toi 4/3 I know I'll lose a little top and bottom in Landscape, sides in Portrait, on an A4, or any other A size print.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 16th July 2015

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

I used PSP when I had a windows machine, but when O moved to Mac I had to uses something else. I loved it.
But then I used Rawshooter, the foreigner of LR, and stuck with it. LR does most of what I want, I cannot remmebr the last time I used PS.
Old 16th July 2015

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

RE X7 and paper sizes - have you checked the Preferences or Settings for the ap, you might find it has an ISO page size setting. If not email the developers and explain to them the a significant part of the world uses the ISO page sizes rather the US centric paper sizes.
Old 16th July 2015

Liked 70 Times in 40 Posts

I've just ordered my new laptop and I've decided to ditch Windows and try the Linux route. Mainly because of the shenanigans these big firms pull to try and get you to part with even more of your hard earned for, what sometimes turns out to be an inferior product. Having not used any of the Adobe stable I won't be able to compare with the available alternatives but they seem to be well recieved. I think I will miss Oly Viewer though.

Our office recently ditched Adobe's other major piece of software, acrobat, for Blue Beam for the same reasons stated above in other posts. The replacement was simply much better and vastly cheaper. Even after a year it still surprises us with what it can do and often wonder what we did without it.

Will
KeithL (17th July 2015)