Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 12th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help sought - OM-D battery Contingency Plan

A friend of mine is getting married on Wednesday 23 May and has prevailed on me to take her wedding photos. I've actually sold all my wedding gear and now only have my new OM-D and that with only one battery!
SRS can't be sure when their new stock will arrive and I am now begining to put contingency plans in place because I will not turn up with only a single battery, even though it's only a registry office and it might just last!

Would anyone, preferably in the SE London area or thereabouts, be prepared to lend me their precious OM-D battery for about 24 hours - if I could pick it up on Tuesday 22nd I'd return it on the Wednesday evening - or else will RMSD in both directions / whatever it takes? Am happy to make a donation and obviously cover all costs.

I know it's a big sacrifice to ask you to do without the battery for that long, but if your camera didn't have any other plans or simply needed a rest?? PM me please if you're willing. Clearly if SRS deliver the goods in time, then I won't need to put the contingency plan into action.

Some people say that the OM-D isn't a suitable wedding camera but put the 45mm on it, another couple of m4/3rds lenses in jacket pockets, and with a nice big ISO range, good DR and IQ, a lovely shutter sound and no big camera/lens combination to intimidate the couple and stop them smiling, I'm not so sure.

I've bought a backup/2nd camera with the closest shutter sound to the OM-D I could find, but few of the other features I put above - an E-1 - which I'm going to have barely a week to get to grips with, so am actually looking forward to the challenge of using the oldest interchangeable lens Olympus digital and the newest at the same time. It's a good job it's a small wedding and there's no money involved and the couples' parents with phone cameras otherwise!

Thanks for your help if you're able and willing!
Doug
Old 14th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help sought - OM-D battery Contingency Plan

If it helps. I used my OM-D at WHF in Kent last week shooting big cats. Same problem only one battery. I intoduced as many power saving measures as possible no auto review as little "chimping" as possible. Switched off cleaning and turned the camera off at any lull in the proceedings, no flash. I obtained the grand total of 641 shots before the battery died.
I hope this helps a little.

Mike
Old 14th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Mike,
That's reassuring - but I've also seen some others report less than 100, which is what really worries me. Didn't realise you could switch off cleaning, but will take note of all possible power saving features.

As an aside, how did you find the big cats, especially among the foliage and what lens/es were you using? - I'm interested to see how CDAF copes with large wildlife and have yet to decide on a long m4/3 lens.
Hope WHF is thriving - haven't been for a few years
Doug
Old 15th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Doug, My error, not cleaning but lens reset as it powers up the lens motor. Sorry for the error it's the Fuji XP-1 that you can switch the cleaning off.

WHF are going from strength to strength it would seem certainly is well maintained. The animals don't have that zoo depression look either.

Mike
Old 15th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you going to post any of you big cat pics Bo Nydhal? I'm thinking of going down myself for a workshop. . . .
Old 15th May 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Anyone able to help Doug?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

blaggard - if you find a workshop soon, would you mind posting the details - I have a few friends I'd like to meet again

Old 15th May 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,756 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug H View Post
Thanks Mike,
That's reassuring - but I've also seen some others report less than 100, which is what really worries me. Didn't realise you could switch off cleaning, but will take note of all possible power saving features.

As an aside, how did you find the big cats, especially among the foliage and what lens/es were you using? - I'm interested to see how CDAF copes with large wildlife and have yet to decide on a long m4/3 lens.
Hope WHF is thriving - haven't been for a few years
Doug
My advice is simply to switch the camera off when you aren't taking shots. Another useful tip is to switch eye-sensing off and only use the EVF. Over 600 shots is pretty good! If you are only getting 100 - that suggests no battery saving measures and lots of viewing of shots. I also believe that the battery life profile improves after a few charge cycles.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 15th May 2012

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

It's fine - you'll spend all your time loving the E-1 anyway !

Seriously, hope someone can help you out though.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 15th May 2012

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Another useful tip is to switch eye-sensing off and only use the EVF.
Ian
I fiddled with my E-M5 and switched eye sense back on, but set the rear screen to off. So the EVF lights up when you poke your eye in it, at all other times both displays are off.

This should minimise battery use surely? Or am I missing something...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 15th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchick View Post
It's fine - you'll spend all your time loving the E-1 anyway !

Seriously, hope someone can help you out though.

Cheers,

Jon
Yes, the E-1 arrived this morning and I keep on going back to it and picking it up: I used to like the feel of the E-3 but knew when I handled your E-1 on Friday that I would love the E-1 even more. It clearly wasn't designed with Japanese hands in mind - looks more like they just took the dimensions of mine... I just need to go back to the gym for some weight training, or maybe just lifting a few pints might help!

It sounds like the one battery should be good enough with care but I never like working that way when it's someone else's pictures at stake, especially with a new camera. However, being able to review the image in the EVF immediately to check for blinking or eyes in the wrong direction rather than taking extra safety shots will also reduce the number of shots I take.

Doug
Old 16th May 2012

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,163 Posts

I obviously cannot help at all, but I appreciate the helpfull comments here (& will apply them when I get mine). I am considering buying this charger & batteries in Australia with their confidence in these batteries (albeit a lower Ah battery & lower charge power) to add to the Oly battery. These are also sold in the USA.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 16th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
Are you going to post any of you big cat pics Bo Nydhal? I'm thinking of going down myself for a workshop. . . .
Yes, I will do so next week. Off to Abbotsbury for the swans this weekend

Mike
Old 16th May 2012

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

BLS-1 Vs BLN -1 are they the same?
Old 16th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
I fiddled with my E-M5 and switched eye sense back on, but set the rear screen to off. So the EVF lights up when you poke your eye in it, at all other times both displays are off.

This should minimise battery use surely? Or am I missing something...
Spot on.

Admittedly I was shooting in burst mode at 4fps but with LCD toggled off with the switch on the housing and EVF eye sense on - I got over 1300 photos on one battery.

I LOST SHOTS waiting for the EVF to power up as I picked up the camera again after a pause. SO beware that you lose spontaneity of shooting waiting for the camera to recover its senses.

your mileage may vary
contents may settle during shipping