Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 16th March 2009

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Re: A Wish List for Mr Watanabe.

Although I don't totally disagree as I use Aperture Prioety and Manual for 90-95% of my shots, some of the other settings do have uses, Olympus actually recomends Program mode for certain flash cases and I find that gives good results. Also the way Oly allows the different settings to set different per mode can be handy for quickly changing setup - A well implimented my mode would be good here (don't have E-3).

Like I've seen mentioned elsewhere, being able to pre-configure a my mode setting in Studio (play with a raw till you get what you like) and possible with some Art filter effects would be pretty cool

Dave
Old 16th March 2009

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

Ian,

Unless you have assumed that the following is included as a response to higher DR, how about including 14bit A-D conversion on the list (even though I'm aware your personal opinion is that this gives rise to increased noise).

By the way, IMO - as an erstwhile electronic engineer - it isn't implicit that increasing conversion accuracy will result in increased noise, especially if (as with the implementation by Nikon etc) the max fps rate is reduced when hig res conversion is selected. Most of the noise originates in the photosensor array, not in the convertor.

Regards,
Old 16th March 2009

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

Ian,

Please also include on the list:-
More bracketting options to support HDR e.g:- 2EV bracket steps and/or 7, 9 (or more) shot bracket sequences.
Old 16th March 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Ian,

More bracketting options to support HDR e.g:- 2EV bracket steps and/or 7, 9 (or more) shot bracket sequences.
I'd certainly agree that a 7 or 9 sequence would be ideal, for most of my recent church interiors I've found I need a range of -5 to +1 for the best results. Presumably this is software controlled so might be implementable by an upgrade.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 16th March 2009
Xpres

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
But Ian, for those of us old enough with hypo stains still on our fingers that was a luxury to have metering but if I read between your lines, hopefully there will be a basic camera at a low price to get 'em hooked young!
My idea of a simple basic camera is not necessarily a cheap one! Although that would be a bonus.
Imagine a 620 but without a flash. buttons for all the basic controls with an lcd on top so you don't need to look at the screen which can then be left switched off and turned to camera. E3 type weathersealing. Twin SD cards. Nice bright viewfinder and interchangeable focus screens - a plain matt one fitted. OH, and a flash sinc socket.
What I suppose I want is a waterproof digital OM1 with an articulating screen!
Old 16th March 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
My idea of a simple basic camera is not necessarily a cheap one! Although that would be a bonus.
Imagine a 620 but without a flash. buttons for all the basic controls with an lcd on top so you don't need to look at the screen which can then be left switched off and turned to camera. E3 type weathersealing. Twin SD cards. Nice bright viewfinder and interchangeable focus screens - a plain matt one fitted. OH, and a flash sinc socket.
What I suppose I want is a waterproof digital OM1 with an articulating screen!
Be honest...what you want is a digital databack for the OM series yes I am having a day dream again
Old 16th March 2009

Liked 369 Times in 155 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I think Olympus need to get a grip of the grips. Is it beyond the wit of man to have one battery grip that will fit several models? Personally I preferred the grip with the E1 to that with the E3/30. Although you needed a different battery it had a better capacity than two standard batteries and the whole thing was just that bit smaller amd more manageable. I guess you'd need one grip for cameras that take the small battery (E4xx, 6xx) and another for those that take the larger one. Several E5xx users report having bought third party grips so there must be a worthwhile market there. I have a grip on the E3 all the time and would do for the E510 if there was an Olympus one or a third party offering to Olympus build standards.

The XD card slot is certainly of little value but now that CF cards have such huge capacity and its not expensive to carry several with you, I wonder if a second slot is a good use of space. However few laptops seem to have a built in CF slot and being able to use a card that will slot straight into a laptop has its advantages. I use a PCMCIA CF reader but the transfer rate is Mb/week rather than Mb/second.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 16th March 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,312 Posts
Liked 1,817 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
I think Olympus need to get a grip of the grips. Is it beyond the wit of man to have one battery grip that will fit several models? Personally I preferred the grip with the E1 to that with the E3/30. Although you needed a different battery it had a better capacity than two standard batteries and the whole thing was just that bit smaller amd more manageable. I guess you'd need one grip for cameras that take the small battery (E4xx, 6xx) and another for those that take the larger one. Several E5xx users report having bought third party grips so there must be a worthwhile market there. I have a grip on the E3 all the time and would do for the E510 if there was an Olympus one or a third party offering to Olympus build standards.

The XD card slot is certainly of little value but now that CF cards have such huge capacity and its not expensive to carry several with you, I wonder if a second slot is a good use of space. However few laptops seem to have a built in CF slot and being able to use a card that will slot straight into a laptop has its advantages. I use a PCMCIA CF reader but the transfer rate is Mb/week rather than Mb/second.
The E-3 grip is now compatible with the E-30, so surely your question is answered there?

The E-3/30 HL-4 grip is not as tactile as the E-1 grip, but I don't find it objectionable to use either.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 16th March 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,312 Posts
Liked 1,817 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Ian,

Unless you have assumed that the following is included as a response to higher DR, how about including 14bit A-D conversion on the list (even though I'm aware your personal opinion is that this gives rise to increased noise).

By the way, IMO - as an erstwhile electronic engineer - it isn't implicit that increasing conversion accuracy will result in increased noise, especially if (as with the implementation by Nikon etc) the max fps rate is reduced when hig res conversion is selected. Most of the noise originates in the photosensor array, not in the convertor.

Regards,
Actually you are misinterpreting my view on 14-bit conversion

My view is that there is unlikely to be beneficial signal from the sensor above 12 bits. So why bother and increase the computational burden for no gain?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 16th March 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,500 Posts
Liked 4,585 Times in 2,184 Posts

How about a hyperfocal distance mode where you set the minimum distance required to be in focus and the camera computes the aperture required for the focal length selected and automatically focuses the lens at the hyperfocal distance?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th March 2009

Liked 713 Times in 380 Posts

1) Would like to see a DOF scale included on those lenses like in the days of the 35mm film.

2) For Olympus to enable the use of that Aperture ring found on the Lumix/Leica lenses. After all, they are Fourthirds.

3) AF confirmation on manual lenses. If Nikon can do it, Olympus should be able to also.

All my garbage so far.
Old 17th March 2009

Liked 369 Times in 155 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The E-3 grip is now compatible with the E-30, so surely your question is answered there?

The E-3/30 HL-4 grip is not as tactile as the E-1 grip, but I don't find it objectionable to use either.

Ian
I did acknowledge the E3/30 compatibility in my post. It's a first and if it's going to continue that will be fine. My point is that it is something we should encourage Olympus to do, which is surely the purpose of a wish list.

There were some posts early on in the life of the E3 from those who preferred the E1 grip because it was smaller and packed more power. Given the choice I'd go for something smaller with the BLL battery rather than a chunky job with the BLM.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 17th March 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Points 5, 9 and 16 would really do it for me!!

Cheers, Steve.
Old 17th March 2009

Liked 85 Times in 50 Posts

Hi Ian

Could you add the following to the comprehensive wish list:

1) AF fine-tune adjustment control for auto focus in the top pro model like other manufacturers already provide.

2) 14-bit raw files. These are very useful for photoshop post work.

3) Work with Adobe to get the Olympus presets into Lightroom and Camera Raw
Old 17th March 2009
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Ian,

SPOT ON.. Deffo 2ev for the win.

Also to take all 3 shots or more from 1 button press when in continual shooting mode and bracketing ala Canons