Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th June 2016

Thanked 1,347 Times in 1,052 Posts
Liked 2,245 Times in 1,182 Posts
Question Olympus Service & Brexit?

What will it mean for UK & Olympus Service when the UK exits the EU?

Just curious although I'm 'downunder' (but with some UK family).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 24th June 2016

Liked 1,761 Times in 1,135 Posts
Re: Olympus Service & Brexit?

I think Olympus service and warranties will be the very least of our problems!

Jim
Old 24th June 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I think Olympus service and warranties will be the very least of our problems!

Jim
Yes, I'm sure. We'll be watching to see how things pan out overall for the UK & others now.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 24th June 2016

The UK as we know it is finished. Scotland will leave and there will be huge pressure for NI to unite with Ireland, with an attendant return of violence!

Jim
Old 24th June 2016

Quote:
The UK as we know it is finished. Scotland will leave and there will be huge pressure for NI to unite with Ireland, with an attendant return of violence!

Jim
Yes, that is a great concern & I somehow think that some that voted to leave may regret it (but too late).
Old 24th June 2016

Liked 2,567 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
What will it mean for UK & Olympus Service when the UK exits the EU?

Just curious although I'm 'downunder' (but with some UK family).
I doubt that it will make any difference Ross, and not for a year or two anyway.

It is in everyone's interests that the UK negotiates new and mutually beneficial trading relationships with other European nations during the transition period.

In any case, it now seems likely that several other European countries will be holding their own referenda in the foreseeable future; the outcomes of which seem to be forgone conclusions; so there should be new and better opportunities for trade deals outwith the present EU framework.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (24th June 2016)
Old 24th June 2016

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi, Nigel what do we have to trade negotiate with we don't have a manufacturing base to trade with, and what is still there are owned by other counties, scary times are a foot.
Old 24th June 2016
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:

Jim
I very much fear you are correct. This is likely to trigger a journey to the break up of the UK as we know it. I so hope that we do not see violence but the mood amongst leavers when I engaged was very aggressive which I find desperately depressing.

So the path defined by Cameron as a result of Tory party problems has not only started a long period of uncertainty and harm for this country but it has the delicious irony of ending his career as PM. So I suppose some justice in that sense.

I had a delightful evening with a camera club colleague on Tuesday trying to capture the light in a poppy field. His very astute comment was to draw some parallels with Germany in the 1930's. Whilst I do not think we are that extreme the strong right wing trend and endless fixation on immigration as the root of all problems leaves me genuinely sad and I'm statting to feel ashamed of being British.

So as my savings built up over 45 years of hard work have now been reduced in value in investment terms thus making my recent retirement potentially less than comfortable I suppose I had either better get a job shelf stacking down the CO-OP or emigrate. I fancy a small hut on a Caribbean beach drinking myself to death on rum. Yep, that's the one.

a desperately sad and very, very grumpy

Hec
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (24th June 2016), George Dorn (24th June 2016), Jim Ford (24th June 2016), pandora (24th June 2016), pdk42 (25th June 2016)
Old 24th June 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Hi, Nigel what do we have to trade negotiate with we don't have a manufacturing base to trade with, and what is still there are owned by other counties, scary times are a foot.
Dave, it wasn't ultimately my choice to leave, but I think we all have to agree that 'we' have collectively created a monster in the shape of the EU that we were powerless to stop or change.

I do not see the need for or the point of violence as suggested by some others, but we do have to make the best of the democratic decision.

For what it's worth I believe that many of the seeds of discontent with the EU were sown by Tony Blair during his period in office. Gordon Brown didn't make many good decisions as Chancellor, but not joining the Euro was without doubt his best call. If Tony Blair had had his way we would have joined the Euro long ago.

As for our manufacturing base, yes; we have lost many of our dirty, old, unprofitable heavy industries, which only survived thanks to constant government help. And in case nobody has noticed, the same industries have largely disappeared from other European nations.

We do still build a few ships, and we make some of the steel to build them, but businesses is business, and the fact is that it is far quicker and cheaper to build large commercial vessels in the far east using Chinese steel than it is to build them in Europe.

However, despite all of that, Britain remains the fifth biggest economy in the world, and despite their rhetoric, Germany, France, Belgium, Spain, et al cannot afford to cut off exports to the UK, and likewise they rely on British exports to keep their businesses running.

As I said, it is in everyone's interests that the UK negotiates new and mutually beneficial trading relationships with other European nations during the transition period.

However, there is a limit to what governments and trading blocks can do, and ultimately it is down to consumers and businesses to make the right buying decisions so that our economy can continue to thrive.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
OlyPaul (25th June 2016), Otto (24th June 2016)
Old 24th June 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
I had a delightful evening with a camera club colleague on Tuesday trying to capture the light in a poppy field. His very astute comment was to draw some parallels with Germany in the 1930's. Whilst I do not think we are that extreme the strong right wing trend and endless fixation on immigration as the root of all problems leaves me genuinely sad and I'm statting to feel ashamed of being British.
A very interesting observation by your colleague!

Although a baby during WW2, my German wife carries a mountain of guilt for what was carried out by Germany during the Nazi regime. I told her years ago that there is no difference between the character of the British and Germans, and that given the same circumstances prevailing in Britain as there were in Germany following WW1, Britain would have trodden a similar path.

The Referendum exposed a deep xenophobia in the electorate and an all too readiness to follow the rantings of a right wing ideologue. The current situation has strong echoes of early 30s Germany!

Jim
Old 24th June 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

xenophobic expressions are deplorable of course, and it tends to be the people living in the well-to-do parts of England who support immigration. However, it's not too surprising that others living in vitrtual ghettos, where their local identity has been destroyed, have voiced their opinion. By the way, I'm all in favour of immigration on a points system similar to Australia.

The main issue with the UKs membership with the EU was to do with ever greater political union. If not challenged, Westminster would have been demoted to have the effective power of a local council.

on flickr
Naughty Nigel (24th June 2016), OlyPaul (25th June 2016)
Old 24th June 2016

Quote:
......... given the same circumstances prevailing in Britain as there were in Germany following WW1, Britain would have trodden a similar path.
Indeed. All too many people are very easily led, just like sheep; including those who like to see themselves as 'free thinkers'.

Quote:
The Referendum exposed a deep xenophobia in the electorate and an all too readiness to follow the rantings of a right wing ideologue. The current situation has strong echoes of early 30s Germany!
I'm not so sure it is about xenophobia though Jim. There is deep dissatisfaction with the EU throughout Europe, ranging from frustration with the ECHR and our inability to deport foreign terrorists through to Brussels telling us which vacuum cleaners, kettles and light bulbs we can and cannot buy.

I don't think that is xenophobia; more an awareness that we have created a monster that we no longer have any control over.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
OlyPaul (25th June 2016), pandora (24th June 2016)
Old 24th June 2016

I don't blame Cameron for resigning - I wouldn't want to go down in history as the PM in charge as the UK goes down the tubes!

So who's to take charge? Only a fool - a bumbling, blustering buffoon would want to take the job, and where would we find one of those?

Jim
Old 24th June 2016

Quote:
So who's to take charge? Only a fool - a bumbling, blustering buffoon would want to take the job, and where would we find one of those?

Jim
Try Turnberry. I believe he is paying a visit there today.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 24th June 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Try Turnberry. I believe he is paying a visit there today.
I didn't know Boris Johnson played golf. What's his handicap?

Jim