Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 15th August 2019

Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,336 Posts
Liked 2,436 Times in 1,154 Posts
Creative Live free Olympus tutorials

Is anyone watching these free Olympus courses?
https://www.creativelive.com/stepout...ader-banner_-1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
bassman (16th August 2019), OM USer (17th August 2019)
Old 16th August 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts
Re: Creative Live free Olympus tutorials

Apparently not!

Are they any good?

Ianb
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 16th August 2019

Well I watched the macro one yesterday and the bird one this morning and really enjoyed both of them. They both had nice practical Lightroom post processing sections at the end too. I've also watched some of the EM1X review which was a great run through the features and mostly was appropriate for my Mk2 as well. Apparently according to people on FB there is a Mk 2version of the course available for ~Ł9 but I've not found it yet. There will be a live Astro Photography course today at 4:00 if I've got my time conversion correct. They tend to show the courses later as a video loop after the live showing but it doesn't seem to like being paused unless that's just my old pc. The courses are free to watch at the moment but you can also buy them to watch at your leisure. Experts may find them a bit simplistic perhaps but I have definitely learnt quite a lot already and the presenters are quite an enthusiastic bunch that I've certainly enjoyed watching.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (16th August 2019), Ian (16th August 2019)
Old 17th August 2019

Well looks like I'm the only one watching these! Anyway watched the Astro one yesterday evening all 2 and a quarter hours of it and excellent it was too. Great for a beginner like me who just never seems to get round to having a go. Maybe I will now. Peter Baumgarten the presenter was really great and made it a really enjoyable watch despite having cloud troubles. Definitely learnt a lot from this one. Well done Olympus too for putting this event on. I think there will be chances to catch it today on repeat too, not sure when they will stop streaming for free.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ian (17th August 2019), OM USer (17th August 2019)
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 463 Times in 121 Posts

Are they available on demand (for free!) Or just play at specific times?
Old 18th August 2019

I'm not sure but I think they will only be available as paid for courses now the Olympus sponsored days are over.
Old 25th August 2019

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've not looked at the free CreateLive tutorials as I'm still trying the grasp the basics, but I did get the paid for Introduction course, and fwiw, here's my thoughts.

I started off using the Friedman and Phillips book, following the recommendations on here. It is undoubtably useful and I followed mostly their suggested settings as they seemed to make sense.

However, I donÂ’t have the time to practice using their settings in the situations that they make sense, so things werenÂ’t really sticking.

I bought the CreateLive video set of Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Fast Start by John Greengo.

ItÂ’s a bit of a mixed bag I have to say.

Some parts are poor, he had not run through the material or set the camera up properly and was stumped when something went wrong, as it did on more than one occasion. Not what you want on a paid course.

Some parts are a bit ho-hum - the “I won’t go into that menu as that’s a 5 hour course right there” - i.e. you have to pay more for the advanced course so I won’t even do the basics.

Some bits are undoubtably useful, and having seen the features or settings being used, has built on what what in the Friedman book so that IÂ’ve more idea of the feature than from the book.

Until you have all the video chapters downloaded, then opening the CreateLive app on the iPad without a wifi connection just seemed to trigger a “failure to connect” message so I couldn’t run the chapters I’d already downloaded. I ended up downloading most of them at least twice before the app finally allows me to select and run any of them as I choose.

Even with all the chapters downloaded, the app still tries to connect to itÂ’s home page first before it lets you get what youÂ’ve already bought, presumably in the hope of selling you something else first.

ThereÂ’s an email at least every other day trying to sell me more courses, which is a bit optimistic given that IÂ’ve only just bought their dummies guide, but I was expecting that so itÂ’s no big deal. Maybe once IÂ’ve got past the basics then IÂ’ll go looking for a course that covers what I want to take photos of.

On the whole itÂ’s proved useful, as age and lack of time meant that the density of the Friedman book wasnÂ’t sinking in the way I wanted.

Would I buy it again - probably, as I can follow the videos more easily on the train than I can follow the book.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreyOldMan For This Useful Post:
OM USer (25th August 2019), Phill D (26th August 2019)
Old 26th August 2019

Thanks for that review. Yes I still get offer emails too but they are easy to ignore. As I watched those courses for free I can't complain about the value but they were only $19 each at the time so if I'd bought the Astro one I would have been pretty pleased with it and it would be great to go back and re-watch the bits I've forgotten already.