Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 14th February 2013
Four Thirds User

Arrow Olympus counters speculation that the company is to quit the DSLR market

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

In what appears to be a hastily compiled and rather brief press release, Olympus has moved to refute press reports that it is to drastically scale back its 'DSLR business.

More...
Old 14th February 2013

Liked 728 Times in 486 Posts
Re: Olympus counters speculation that the company is to quit the DSLR market

Oh dear. Is this like the chairman of a football club expressing confidence in the manager the day before sacking him? I hope not.

John
Old 14th February 2013

Liked 1,397 Times in 360 Posts

This is a strange press release indeed, and certainly not proof checked by someone with high fluency in English.

The only thing the press release says is that Olympus will:
  • Strengthen the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. I interpret this as new models of will follow the existing E-PLn Pen series and OM-D E-M5
  • Continue to offer DSLR "as in the past without any changes". This is quite cryptic. I interpret this as E5 will be supported (lifetime not specified), but no new DSLR models will be announced. I.e. no E7.

PS
The DSLR design means that light goes through a single lens and reflective surface (mirror) reflects that light through the viewfinder. I guess he/she who wrote the press release has limited insight into this.

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 14th February 2013

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

I don't think that any of us should be particularly surprised if Oly do quit the dSLR market. You have only to look at the micro43 success and the lack of 43bodies to see where the company is going.
I hope that they continue to make 43 glass although I would not expect to see any new lenses. The mirrorless micro43 body at the end of the year that will allow us full functionality with our superb 43 glass is the best that we can expect. That's when I think the demand for 43 lenses will take off again.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge