Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1st July 2019

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts
Adventures in Franglais, and the Night Shot Mode of My Phone

If you're bored already, skip to the last paragrpahy where I have something photohraphically relevant to say.

So, I'm in Lomé, Togo, a country nestled between Benin and Ghana, with Burkina Faso to the North. In Lomé, the British government advice is not to go anywhere by yourself. After places like Harare, Nairobi, Cotonou and Abidjan, which I found a little bit walkable (Kenyans in particular are just out to swindle you, rather than out and out violence), this level of crime threat comes as a shock. Still, it has been interesting. The city has a border with Ghana, so English is unexpectedly good, hence the first surprise at the Airport:

"Bonjour. Une SIM card avec Deux gigabytes S'il vous plaît"
"Just two? We offer double speed if you buy four."

Then at the pharmacy, this afternoon, I attempted humour and made the pharmacist giggle:

”Avez-vous de la cétirizine pour mon allergie? Avec un metric ton de Kleenex?"

Now, I've never really tried the Night Shot mode of my Huawei P20, but it seems to do something similar to what Google does with its latest and greatest:

Just the TV and iPad for illumination:

Huawei Night Shot Mode 01
by Jason Hindle, on Flickr

Dusk? Dusk? Dusk? Anybody? How many calories in Dusk? (quite a lot it turns out, as that's when I visit the bar)

Huawei Night Shot Mode 4

Not fun to look out of the window of my safe, fairly plush hotel room and see this. And these people at least have a roof over their heads.

Daytime/indoors since I learned from a dpreview video that night shot modes mean mega dynamic range:

Huawei Night Shot Mode 2

Huawei Night Shot Mode 3

Now imagine for the a moment the results of this kind of computational photography via a Four Thirds sized sensor? But what about real photos from this trip? I have a Fujifulm XF10 with me, and I've asked the customer if I can borrow one of the people who drives me to/from the office for a little photographic expedition. If not, I will at least try to get a photo of the racially biased headless mannequins before I leave....
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (1st July 2019), OM USer (2nd July 2019)
Old 1st July 2019

Liked 566 Times in 255 Posts
Re: Adventures in Franglais, and the Night Shot Mode of My Phone

Fascinating night shot photos from a phone, what clever technology. Be safe, thank you for sharing.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 2nd July 2019

Liked 3,189 Times in 1,719 Posts

Some difficult choices with the horizontals and verticals.

Harold
Old 2nd July 2019

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts

It's hard. My proper cameras all have digital levels - I'm not entirely sure how I have managed to survive without those!