Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 9th November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts
Day After Day - Living With Parkinson's

I'm looking for a project to give my photography a sense of purpose and provide me with an incentive to take more pictures. It cannot involve too much expense, including the cost of travelling, so something close to home, something part of my daily experience would be the ideal theme.

I'm thinking of documenting the little everyday actions that I used to take for granted before I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, but now cause me varying degrees of difficulty and frustration. If the project takes off and works OK, I may well publish it as another Blurb book.

To make a start and test the water I took a couple of shots this afternoon. Both have been converted to B&W as I see this as the most appropriate medium for the project. Also, both were shot at ISO 12800 because the light in my living room was very poor on such a dull day. I might well re-shoot on a brighter day with more ambient light in the room.

I would appreciate comments on whether these pictures work in portraying the message they are supposed to convey, whether the composition and situation works and any other observations that you are able to make. Thank you.

The first is an attempt to capture the tremor in my right hand. Some days it is worse than others and it can also vary quite significantly during the course of a day. When I arrived home after a very pleasant morning chatting over coffee with PeterBirder, I was in need of my lunchtime tablet, which was due. I took "advantage" of a particularly active tremor in my hand and set up the shot before I took my medication, using a shutter speed of 1/2th a second to emphasize the tremor by motion blurr.

The second shot is intended to portray the struggle I have arising from a low seat, such as our living room couch. The action is clumsy and awkward, requiring much effort from my arms to compensate for the lack of response from my legs in that position. It often takes several attempts and, although amusing for my family, it is very frustrating.

Thanks for looking.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Fearless Leader (14th November 2012), Melaka (10th November 2012)
The Following User Liked This Post:
dh202 (3rd January 2015)
Old 9th November 2012

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
Powerful idea
I like mono so I would say stick with that
Editing will be difficult as it is so personal ... so if you know of another sufferer it might be worth involving them near the end...
Talking of ends...decide what will complete your project otherwise it will be open ended..
That first image...wow
The Following User Says Thank You to crimbo For This Useful Post:
Shitou (21st January 2013)
Old 9th November 2012
Administrator

Re: Day After Day - Living With Parkinson's

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
Powerful idea
I like mono so I would say stick with that
Editing will be difficult as it is so personal ... so if you know of another sufferer it might be worth involving them near the end...
Talking of ends...decide what will complete your project otherwise it will be open ended..
That first image...wow
Thanks Chris, I've been so preoccupied making a list of all the situations that I can depict that I haven't considered how to draw the project to a close and that's a very important point!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 9th November 2012

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Very emotive shots John...

I can't begin to comprehend the frustration you must feel. The pictures do indeed convey the feeling and I feel that they are well suited to the B&W treatment....

I think you're very brave to post these photos but documenting your problems will surely help others in the same predicament.

Well done you...

Janet

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
Old 9th November 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

John

I love this thread. Simple as. You have my respect, sir.

John

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
Rens (18th December 2012), Shitou (21st January 2013), Zuiko (9th November 2012)
Old 9th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Very emotive shots John...

I can't begin to comprehend the frustration you must feel. The pictures do indeed convey the feeling and I feel that they are well suited to the B&W treatment....

I think you're very brave to post these photos but documenting your problems will surely help others in the same predicament.

Well done you...

Janet

Janet
Thanks Janet, it would be great if I could help to raise public awareness in some small way and also raise the profile of the disease in certain political circles, against a background of continuing cuts to care and benefits.

Old 9th November 2012

Liked 2,729 Times in 939 Posts

Very emotive stuff with your words.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

The Following User Says Thank You to alfbranch For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (9th November 2012)
Old 9th November 2012

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

Very frustrating indeed, and you have my greatest respect. On saying that, your couch looks like it was built for pygmies and I'd probably have problems getting my ass off it myself at the first attempt!!
The Following User Says Thank You to DekHog For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (10th November 2012)
Old 9th November 2012

Liked 156 Times in 78 Posts

Great project and that first shot is just fantastic. The high ISO actually suits the shot IMO.

I agree with Derek, I'd have trouble getting off that couch too!

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
The Following User Says Thank You to cariadus For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (10th November 2012)
The Following User Liked This Post:
dh202 (3rd January 2015)
Old 9th November 2012

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

Right John sit down and take a very deep breath.
Firstly what you have done and what you are doing in admitting you are diagnosed with Parkinson's disease is tremendously brave of you.
Your decision to document your illness and the effects it has on both you (and perhaps your family) can only be applauded by the rest of us.
My very real concern would be that it is depicted comprehensively and in depth.
Although we have never met I know you to be a man of honour and modesty who neither seeks nor welcomes pity. Therefore I would earnestly beseech you to document this dreadful curse with a full and frank depiction of it's cruel and ruthless progress.
I look forward with great interest to seeing your images and on a personal note I sincerely wish you every success and would like to reassure you that you have my full and earnest support for your selfless project.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seonnaidh For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (10th November 2012), dh202 (3rd January 2015), PeterBirder (10th November 2012), Shitou (21st January 2013), theMusicMan (10th November 2012)
Old 9th November 2012
Administrator

Hehe, the couch is low, but I never used to have problems with it! We'd like to replace it, but there always seems to be something with more urgent demands upon the meagre (virtually non-existant) monthy surplus of money. Also, it is particularly useful as it is a sofa-bed, which comes in very handy when our friends from Yorkshire visit. So for the forseeable future I will have to continue my almost comical performance to get up from the damn thing!

I am much better with higher seats, such as dining chairs, but the car is also becoming a bit of a problem. However, more about that in a later photograph, perhaps.

Old 9th November 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

John, that first picture is really poignant.

I'd struggle with that sofa too. Ever considered a booster cushion? I got one for my chair in the study as I was suffering from Writer's Bum.
Old 9th November 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Great starting shots for your project John.

I do hope you will find ways of including some lighter shots, even in frustration there must be opportunities for levity.

And this is a signifigantly different technical challenge from your excellent landscapes, what an opportunity to demonstrate new skills and ideas.

All the best.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 9th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
Right John sit down and take a very deep breath.
Firstly what you have done and what you are doing in admitting you are diagnosed with Parkinson's disease is tremendously brave of you.
Your decision to document your illness and the effects it has on both you (and perhaps your family) can only be applauded by the rest of us.
My very real concern would be that it is depicted comprehensively and in depth.
Although we have never met I know you to be a man of honour and modesty who neither seeks nor welcomes pity. Therefore I would earnestly beseech you to document this dreadful curse with a full and frank depiction of it's cruel and ruthless progress.
I look forward with great interest to seeing your images and on a personal note I sincerely wish you every success and would like to reassure you that you have my full and earnest support for your selfless project.
Thanks for your kind words, Jon. You make a very valid point about how it is depicted. I am, so far, reasonably fortunate not to suffer the worst consequences of this illness that many have to endure. With me it is more a case of numerous small incapabilities, impairments and frustrations that together have quite a significant effect on my ability to function in a "normal" manner. The challenge is, as you say, how well I can communicate that. If I cannot achieve that to my satisfaction, then the project will be dropped, but I feel it is well worth the attempt and if nothing else it will give me a renewed sense of purpose for a while.

Old 9th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGruchy View Post
John, that first picture is really poignant.

I'd struggle with that sofa too. Ever considered a booster cushion? I got one for my chair in the study as I was suffering from Writer's Bum.
Linda, that's a great idea. I'll have to look out for some high density foam or similar - something reasonably firm that my ever-expanding rear won't sink in too deeply!