Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Street Photography (sort of)

Never having the bottle to try street photography. This year I would like to have a try at taking candids etc at the bike meets I normally visit. My guestion is regarding model release, surely most of this type of pic does not get a model release. So where do you stand (or crouch) if you wish to share the pics.
Old 22nd January 2011

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Street Photography (sort of)

Don't know to be honest.

I often wonder around race meetings at Oulton Park shooting around the pit area or sometimes if really interesting the crowd themselves. Or shot candid at various shows.

Once done than post them on flickr or various web forums.

Never thought about Model Release forms, think then are used if you plan to make commercial gain form the images.

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 22nd January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCroz View Post
Never having the bottle to try street photography. This year I would like to have a try at taking candids etc at the bike meets I normally visit. My guestion is regarding model release, surely most of this type of pic does not get a model release. So where do you stand (or crouch) if you wish to share the pics.
Phew, the two things/scenarios are different.

If you're taking photographs in the street there's no problem with 'model releases' because it's a public place, and that's how press photographers work.

At a venue such as a bike meet - where you may have to pay to get in - you might find that the owners/organisers have rules of some sort or other with regard to pictures that are going to be sold (paid for license/permit), but sharing the pictures not for profit should be OK expecially as almost everybody has a camera of some sort these days.

Most people are really proud of their bikes etc., and don't mind pictures being taken but are increasingly are wary/twitchy if anybody points a camera at children.

My 'rule of thumb' is to take my time and make sure people can actually see my camera, if they turn away then I wouldn't dream of taking their picture, if they smile etc then I go ahead.

If I want a close-up I'll go and ask - and I might even offer them a copy, if they send me an email to ask ... so print some business-type cards on thickish photo paper and hand them out. I've seen people with luggage tags containing business cards/ID on their camera strap - it looks organised and quite 'official'.

If you have any doubts then you could check with an organisation such as BFP - you can phone them up, even if you aren't a member.
Old 23rd January 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Unless you know, or are specifically advised, that photography is not allowed then you should have no problems. If you asked not to take photographs, and the event is on private property, then you need to respect that.

You can take photographs of people/things/property , it was their choice to come out in public, and you can share those photographs. Good manners and good sense should persuade you not to take/share photographs that could cause embarassment.

Model Releases are needed if the photograph is to be used to promote/present something other than the fact that person 'A' was at location 'B'. For example if the photograph was used to advertise laxatives, or supported the National Front. It doesn't need to be commercial so if you associated ideas/concepts directly with an image that contains recognizeable people then you could have a problem, here, or on facebook, or a blog.

Similarly with Property Releases, practically everything belongs to someone and if it has been manufactured then the design/name is also owned. And again any use (other than to record that it was at a particular place, looked like this) could require a release.

Certainly there is no general issue (or need for releases) in taking/sharing photographs taken of people in public. Just be obvious, friendly, approachable and don't inconvenience/hassle anyone.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk