Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 28th November 2011

Liked 122 Times in 67 Posts
Printer & Scanner advice please

I too am looking for a printer and scanner, I've read the recent reports recently on this forum but haven't found what I am after.

For the printer my requirements are:
A4 printing - although A3 would be nice but I reckon pricey
WiFi connection - highly desirable
Borderless printing - would be nice
Print directly to CDs/DVDs - absolutely essential
The more the number of inks the better
Handles up to 280g/m2 paper (Illford)
Price - 100 - 150 ish but would consider higher for ideal printer
Probably one of the main 3 brands: Canon, HP or Epson

For the scanner:
A4 scanning
Good user interface with large "select crop area"
Scan to PDF, JPEG/TIFF etc. (interface with Photoshop)
35mm negative scanning - would be nice but not essential

I won't be doing masses of printing, just occasional family prints with good colour accuracy and quality.

I am using Windows 7

Could anyone offer any advice and recommendations?

Thanks

Steve
Old 28th November 2011

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Re: Printer & Scanner advice please

I find that the Cannon Pixma 9500 works very well though a weee bit expensive-but, u get what you pay for I suppose, I also find the CanoScan 600f to be ok for me. I tried epson but gave up after the extensive head cleaning program seemed to take longer than the actual print
Old 28th November 2011
Sprocketdog23

Go for the biggest printer you can afford, at least A3. You will find that your needs will easily outgrow an A4 printer, and you will wish for bigger prints. A3 printers are only marginally more expensive to purchase, and in the long term, will cost you less in inks. Look for one that can take an external bulk feed ink system, as again it will bring the costs down for you.

Most photographic printers now are PIGMENT based. They need a lot of separate colours to be truly accurate, but you do get lifelong prints that will last more than 200 years, so are favoured commercially these days. They are harder to profile though, and prone to clogging in the printheads, but you can print on pretty much any type of porous surface. Canon & Epson printers are good in this category at A3 size. I still use a HP 9180 A3 printer daily, it's been a workhorse, but I think HP have abandoned this range now.

There are however some excellent DYE based printers still out there. They will generally have less inks, and six colours is pretty good in dye printers (most professional ones have four colours). The colour rendition from dye is far superior to pigment, but the prints suffer from fade unless you invest in proprietary papers. I have owned a large format (a HP DJ 130nr A1+ printer) dye printer for commercial photo printing that was my main printer. It ran every day for two years before I sold it on, without ever needing the print heads cleaning, and used minute amounts of dye. That printer cost less than half a similar sized pigment based printer. An A3 dye printer will cost very little in comparison to a similar pigment based printer. I bought an Epson Stylus 1200 for less than 200, and it's printed output was equal to the HP 9180 I have, which cost over 500.

If I was buying a new printer today, I'd probably be looking at the Epson Stylus Pro range. The A2 printer takes about the same desk space as a comparable A3 printer, and the results are outstanding. One will set you back about 850.

You should be able to get a very decent A3 pigment printer from between 300 to 600.

I can't comment much on scanners, as I only have a Epson F-3200 film scanner, but I have heard the Epson Perfection Pro scanners are superb. I guess the Canon ones are equally good.
Old 28th November 2011

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

*beware i know bugger all about printers!*

From the Which best buys:

Canon Pixma MG6150 gets a good review 99.99 currys, jessops etc. Canon Pixma MG8150 is all singing all dancing but dearer (slide scanner etc), 190. Both get good scores for scan and photo print quality, not so hot for text but I don't think this is what photo inkjets are designed for. Both have wifi, ethernet, borderless, duplex and CD printing.

I couldn't find an a3 printer in the best buys that printed onto cd.

As I said DYOR as i know nowt, just had a browse on Which out of interest as I remember tehy did some recent tests, I am still tempted myself but it's so easy to wander into the local printers who does them for me cheaper than I could do and without the hassle.
Old 28th November 2011

Thanks for the help folks, especially Sprocketdog23. I have found a couple of printer test reviews in some recent photo magazines so I'll have a read and bear your comments in mind.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 28th November 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Steve, I have a Cannon ix4000 A3 printer its awesome I buy bulk paper Gallery from lce when there are 10 or 20 free sheets in a box I also have Canon Pixma4600 and Canon Pixma3600 for A4; A5 and postcards and they print to disc. Colours are excellent; inks are "reasonable" I do not use cheap inks/refills only Canon.

I did printer ink tests over 3 years with Kodak; HP; Lexmark and Canon - all but photos faded - even when not in direct sunlight (on back of study door the window to which never gets sun on it ) EXCEPT CANON INKS !

and I spilt pva glue on s photo - washed it off ! inks never moved/ran nothing ! steadfast!

Epson 4990 Scanner is also awesome - I have been scanning old World War II and I photos which are 4 wide x 3 high and the gain up in tiff allow quality prints of A4 = very happy customers
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 28th November 2011

Wow! that looks some scanner Chevvy, might not need anything that good though.

The Epson R3000 gets the saliva drooling but is a hefty price and the ink cartridges ain't cheap. Mind you the review shows the A4 cost comparable with on-line printing.

BTW has anyone got an R3000? does it come with 26ml ink cartridges included?

Lots of thinking needed methinks.

Ta all.

Steve