Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 10th September 2015

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,133 Times in 1,140 Posts
Re: An unhelpful comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Those that can, do. Those that can't teach.
Don't blame all teachers, 'cause I'm married to one that is very hard working & dedicated, but some unfortunately bring down the name of the good ones because of their shortcomings.

This 'tool' of a teacher should know better & such biases are totally unprofessional. Unfortunately I also experienced a biased photography 'teacher' at a community school (in other words, he wasn't a qualified teacher) that had decided that Nikon was better than Canon & was in the middle of changing over (at least I think that was the direction he was going) & took one look at my Olympus camera (it was the E520 then, back in 2009) & said they had a lag time that needed to be allowed for. He also said we didn't need RAW files. Yeah right! After a while I ignored him & continued to save both JPEG & RAW (& have continued to do so). He also insisted on calling macro lenses "micro" & so I corrected him saying that it was only Nikon's idea of a macro lens. Anyhow, I did learn a few things despite his bit of a bias, but that was 6 years ago & things have moved along from there now (with some).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 10th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I used to be of the 'those that can, do ...' persuasion, but after working for 35 years in a factory I got a job as a science technician in a secondary school. I always found it shocking how drained all the teaching staff looked as half-term or end of term approached.

Jim
You're so right there! Teaching can be like bashing your head against a brick wall with some of today's students when parents don't help with their attitude ("it's the school's fault for my slack, insolent & lazy child") & various competing distractions (internet related usually). To top it off, there are now more & more regulating systems, paper work (not necessarily paper, but you know what I mean) that goes with teaching etc. The legal risk of teaching is also stressful too. That's when having a union pays off if a student (or parents) decide there is some legal challenge they want to take take out against a teacher (it may be justified or the parent & student are just unreasonable losers) as they can legally represent the teacher.

OK, I'll stop my rant now.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 3,953 Times in 1,456 Posts

Nikon was partly right on the macro - micro thing. Technically micro is up to 1:1 and macro is magnifications above that. None of the normal Nikon's go above 1:1 without additions!
Old 10th September 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
Nikon was partly right on the macro - micro thing. Technically micro is up to 1:1 and macro is magnifications above that. None of the normal Nikon's go above 1:1 without additions!
"Micro" or "Macro" - both these terms probably mean very little to the layman. The average Aussie, for example, would probably just describe these both as "Fxxxxxx close."

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Beagletorque (10th September 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (10th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015

Same as us then!
Old 10th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
Except it was only Nikon that went that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
"Micro" or "Macro" - both these terms probably mean very little to the layman. The average Aussie, for example, would probably just describe these both as "Fxxxxxx close."
It's just as well I'm not average then. I'm above average & I'm totally modest too & am so proud of my modesty!
Zuiko (10th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
The legal risk of teaching is also stressful too. That's when having a union pays off if a student (or parents) decide there is some legal challenge they want to take take out against a teacher (it may be justified or the parent & student are just unreasonable losers) as they can legally represent the teacher.
Agreed. But teaching unions also make teachers fireproof, or so it seems.

In our daughter's case the college admits there is a longstanding problem with the provision of Biology tuition, and a shorter term problem with Chemistry.

Almost the entire class failed both AS Biology and Chemistry this year, but the college refuses to do anything about it on the grounds that 'we have procedures to follow' and 'the teachers' interests must come first'.

What is worse is that many students have been told to drop these subjects rather than retake them; presumably because it is easier that way.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 868 Times in 555 Posts

I joined what was then my local camera club many years ago and was asked what equipment I used. "Olympus". "O dear ...". It turned out there was a big Minolta clique in the club; however they shut up when I started winning all their print competitions!

At uni in the 70s, everyone kept going on about how Hewlett-Packard made the best scientific calculators, I think the HP-45 was regarded as the one to have. I chose a Texas SR-56 and got laughed at because it had bracket keys instead of the HP's "reverse Polish notation". It was also less than half the price, had storage for twice as many program steps, and when tested by entering 45 degrees and then taking sin, cos, tan, artcan, arcos, arcsin returned 45.0004 degrees. The HP returned 45.02. so in that calculation at least my Texas was 3 orders of magnitude more accurate!

The biggest sellers are not necessarily the best - look at sliced white bread for instance . I have a friend who has a fairly basic Canon DSLR with the standard kit zoom lens, and the chromatic aberration is appalling, especially in the corners. The basic Oly 14-42 knocks spots off it! Maybe he has a poor sample?
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 128 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Its should not be about the camera brand, but about the camera. The camera should have the necessary controls needed for the course easily accessable. Now it may be that canikon have more cameras that fall into this category and so there is a wider range to choose from (budget permitting) than when choosing from some other brands but it does not mean that the other brands do not have a cameras in their range that fulfill the requirement.
I'd be surprised if there are ANY DSLRs or mirrorless cameras made in the last 5 years that wouldn't be capable of doing everything needed for an A level course. Unless the course includes some analogue work - but I believe that film is not normally part of the syllabus any more.
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 536 Times in 374 Posts

To complete the Teacher word play.

Those that can do,

those that cannot - teach

Those that cannot teach - teach teachers

Those that cannot teach teachers - become school inspectors

etc etc

PS my wife was a teacher.
Old 10th September 2015

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts

Ah; but those who now can have been taught by teachers!

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 10th September 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
I'd be surprised if there are ANY DSLRs or mirrorless cameras made in the last 5 years that wouldn't be capable of doing everything needed for an A level course. Unless the course includes some analogue work - but I believe that film is not normally part of the syllabus any more.
Film is still part of the syllabus and the school has a fully equipped darkroom plus a number of film cameras.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Film is still part of the syllabus and the school has a fully equipped darkroom plus a number of film cameras.
Wow! Much as I hated it, I think my school was quite good - but we didn't have anything like that!

John
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Film is definitely part of the photography degree course at most of the universities that offer it, although I think it is principally for B&W work these days.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th September 2015

I went to a Catholic school so the dark room was best avoided unless you wanted be molested by a priest.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
al_kaholik (11th September 2015), Floribunda (20th September 2015), Naughty Nigel (10th September 2015), Ross the fiddler (10th September 2015), Zuiko (10th September 2015)