Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 324 Times in 133 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: I'm Giving Up

You lay it all out with stark clarity. I've got a 40-150 which hasn't been used for over a year and which I'd be happy to let you have on extended loan. I daresay other forum members might be able to help in a similar manner. That way we might be able to keep you in photography.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It is all sad news. My father has suffered with Leukaemia for the last 10 years+ and they still say he is fit to work so I can understand where you are coming from. Decisions seem to be made on the 'average' person as opposed to individual cases.

I may not be able to help on the camera front but if your computer goes on the blink give me a shout!
Old 22nd February 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 1,705 Times in 772 Posts

If John is willing, I can assist on the equipment side and indeed I have already made an arrangement for him to do some writing for me. I need to follow this up and have to apologise to John for being distracted with other things. And John is not too far from me so transportation to future meets should not be a problem - as long as he doesn't mind me driving

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 22nd February 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post

The worst thing that could happen would be my computer going wrong – that’s another thing I couldn’t afford to replace!
Oh the irony! That was virtually the last thing I typed last night before logging off and this morning.......no computer! It turns on and makes the usual noises but won't communicate with the screen, when I turn the screen on I get "No Signal."

I've managed to fire up the old computer which has many issues, not least responding to everything at a pace that makes snails seem like race horses, so if I suddenly disappear for a few days you'll know why.

Life can be vicious when you're down!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Oh the irony! That was virtually the last thing I typed last night before logging off and this morning.......no computer! It turns on and makes the usual noises but won't communicate with the screen, when I turn the screen on I get "No Signal."
Is your old computer connected to your existing screen or does it have it's own?
Just trying to identify screen or graphics card issue.

If you send me the make/model and OS of the computer I'll see if I have a compatible card in the workshop.
Old 22nd February 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:

I've managed to fire up the old computer which has many issues, not least responding to everything at a pace that makes snails seem like race horses, so if I suddenly disappear for a few days you'll know why.

Life can be vicious when you're down!
John, a friends techie deals with probs over the phone - if you have not solved the problem (it could be a loose connector?) let me know.

Nice that Ian has some work for you. I can see you have seriously thought this all out ... sorry to see your point - its very sad ... my knees are shot so I had to give up lifelong horses; skiing and running old age is a terrible thing

Check out your car sale - as my neice just got a 3 yr old VW Polo with 2,500 miles and service history for £4,000 ! Prices are at an all time low ... esp. for petrol & diesel cars ... we have ordered and electric one ... but are not selling anything ! leccy is for local short trips out ...
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 22nd February 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
If John is willing, I can assist on the equipment side and indeed I have already made an arrangement for him to do some writing for me. I need to follow this up and have to apologise to John for being distracted with other things. And John is not too far from me so transportation to future meets should not be a problem - as long as he doesn't mind me driving

Ian
Hi Ian,

That really is most kind and generous of you, but I would feel simply awful about accepting gear when I have sold mine and I can't expect you to make significant diversions from Hemel on my account when you already have such a busy lifestyle.

If I am tempted to pick up a camera again my wife will still have an E-510 with 14-42mm and I'm sure she would let me borrow it. My wife will still have a car, too, but the issues will be a) can we afford to put fuel in it and b) keeping use to a minimum as when it eventually wears out we certainly won't be able to replace it.

I guess my main issue is a lack of satisfaction with my photography which has been building for some time. Looking around my own exhibition at some of the locations I am never likely to visit again, looking at some of the images I am unlikely to emulate, just emphasizes this. Continuous hassle from the DWP doesn't help my mental state to be sure, but then again, what right have I got to expect to be able to gallivant all around the country taking photographs when I'm unemployed? It may not be my fault that I have Parkinson's Disease but it isn't anyone else's either and we all have tough choices to make as HMS Great Britain charts an unerring course towards the icebergs!

Thanks again, Ian, and all those who have shown concern and offered help but there is no easy fix to either how I feel right now or my long term financial implications.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd February 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

I hadn't ssen this post until just now and was genuinely upset but at the same time heartened by the response from the members of this forum.

It looks like you have come to this decision for well thought out reasons which is to be admired. I hope you decide to carry on with photography but I can understand why you have arrived at this point. Please do re-consider though as I' sure you will miss it even with the problems you face.

One thing you can be sure off is support from this forum in whatever way it can be given.

Please try and stay positive even in the face of those who would drag you down.

Non carborundum illigitimi - to qoute the faux Latin

Hec
Old 22nd February 2012

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,133 Times in 1,140 Posts

John, I couldn't keep reading it earlier (apart from needing to get dinner) because I was choking up over your predicament. I sincerely hope something can happen to help in your situation & finances (maybe your MP can or should be able to help somehow). I would also encourage you to either keep a camera for yourself, or at least accept offers in this regard, because there still may be opportunities for some photographs as there will probably be times that you may enjoy using it again. Lack of finances & mounting maintenance jobs building up are certainly going to drag down any enthusiasm you've had, as well as physical limitations, but there will quite probably be some brighter days where you will feel better about yourself & your situation & if you get that phone call from a friend, "let's go take some photographs at this place", then hopefully that can be something to be enjoyed.

I'm thankful I've had the opportunity to enjoy the gear I have as I've reached the age my father went (his father 9 years earlier) & it does bother me when I see all the house maintenance jobs (& just completion of fitting the house out that should have been done years ago) but hopefully I'll be around a lot longer that my father was (later 50s), but I'm also thankful for being able to chat with you here too mate.

Take care & I hope whatever decisions you make will work out OK for you & your family.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

John

On the computer front, I have a couple of reasonably up to date PC's in the loft gathering dust which your more than welcome to have any spares you need from to get your computer back up and running.

Regards

Simon
Old 22nd February 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Simon that is most generous ! I have a few RAM chips if John needs them
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

John, I don't know you at all, so this is a bit of a cheek really, but having read the whole thread I think Nick's point about the limited short term financial gain is a valid one. If you have just the one body and lens you can at least take a few shots when your mood and/or circumstances improve. However, if you sell everything and have to "buy back in" to have something to use the cost could be prohibitive. For what you'd gain I'd hang on to something. I've seen some of your shots, it's well worth hoping you will do more.
Old 22nd February 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 1,705 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
Hi Ian,

That really is most kind and generous of you, but I would feel simply awful about accepting gear when I have sold mine and I can't expect you to make significant diversions from Hemel on my account when you already have such a busy lifestyle.

If I am tempted to pick up a camera again my wife will still have an E-510 with 14-42mm and I'm sure she would let me borrow it. My wife will still have a car, too, but the issues will be a) can we afford to put fuel in it and b) keeping use to a minimum as when it eventually wears out we certainly won't be able to replace it.

I guess my main issue is a lack of satisfaction with my photography which has been building for some time. Looking around my own exhibition at some of the locations I am never likely to visit again, looking at some of the images I am unlikely to emulate, just emphasizes this. Continuous hassle from the DWP doesn't help my mental state to be sure, but then again, what right have I got to expect to be able to gallivant all around the country taking photographs when I'm unemployed? It may not be my fault that I have Parkinson's Disease but it isn't anyone else's either and we all have tough choices to make as HMS Great Britain charts an unerring course towards the icebergs!

Thanks again, Ian, and all those who have shown concern and offered help but there is no easy fix to either how I feel right now or my long term financial implications.
The proposal was and is for items of gear in exchange for some articles (i.e. - not freebies) - I know you have already submitted one article and I will speed up my response to that now that much of the E-M5 hullabaloo is no over

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 93 Times in 53 Posts

John

Like many others I do not know you, have never met you and am a 'newby' to boot but really sympathise having 'been there - done that'.

During the last three years I have tried to get work, like yourself, but having the handicap of imminent old age, got absolutely nowhere. This period came about following my ninth redundancy (I had 'hoped' to make double figures as some sort of personal record).

Being a homeowner really brought home the lack of help from the dreaded DWP staff - you not only get stuck on the same benifits as anyone else but you have to find the mortgage payments out of it for starters. Thank the lord for the grey economy and helpful neighbours.

I would suggest a compromise on your photo gear - keep one body (which your wife will use) with the 'standard' 14-42 lens, but also keep one 'longer' lens to go with it 'just in case' and sell the rest.

Next I would invest in a reasonable computer (if yours is so bad) and spend time with your 'image bank' trying different crops and tweaks to lighting via Photoshop or whatever and put them on cd/dvd as a slideshow (use powerpoint if you cannot use anything else). Then, perhaps, you can gain some income from talks to Camera clubs in the surrounding area (if you have not done that already) with the proviso that they (the club) provide the transport both ways for a reduced lecture fee (less than pagb rates, that is).

Have you looked into volunteering at local youth clubs (if there is such a thing these days) who may have youngsters interested in taking pictures on their point and shoot cameras or even their 'phones ? You could really get them interested, I am sure.

The main thing is, do not give up.

David.
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 440 Times in 212 Posts

Like many others on here have read you post with a touch of sadness, and cannot add more to what has already been posted. I understand everything you have said. I have been a member on here for 18 months now and try to logon 3 or 3 times a week to catch up on the photos posted and marvel at some of the talent ordinary folk are capable of with not much more than 'standard' olympus gear.

I went through a 'sticky patch' myself 3 years ago when things were pretty bad work wise, little money to pay the mortgage etc, and with only my manual trade learnt over a period of many years, and the belief that sometimes even the blackest situation can turn around just a fraction to be better than it seems. What pulled me through was the encouragement of friends and family the family pet dog, and my newly purchased 2nd hand Olympus e600 (18 months ago), with money saved from odd jobs and selling unwanted bits & bobs from my garage on ebay.

It can only reiterate what others have said here, try to keep at least one camera and a couple of lenses...it does not matter that you can only get about locally or within walking distance, do you have a local bus service? (bus pass possible depending on age) if you only take a few photos a week it is better than nothing at all. Keep smiling...

Peter