Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 30th April 2008
alert_bri

Olympus UK Photo Safari Event a HUGE SUCCESS!

Hello everyone,

just a quick message to let you know that we had our best event so far this Sunday... with almost 30 passionate Olympus shooters coming together for our personal invitation to a private big cat collection in Welwyn.

Due to the tragic death earlier this year of the owner, the private collection will have to be split, and the house sold... but the owner's widow very kindly allowed us to visit as her free guests. This was a unique opportunity, and our members left a very generous donation at the end of the day, to reflect our gratitude to her.

Anyhow, I'm working on a follow up report now, and I wanted to share just one image from each collection I've received so far - I will post updates as the report is being prepared.

Denis Ong, E-3
1/250s f/5.6 at 104.0mm iso400

Ian Pollard, E-510
1/250s f/2.8 at 105.0mm iso200

Jerry Hughes, E-3
1/200s f/3.5 at 200.0mm iso800

Julian Kaesler, E-510
1/160s f/4.9 at 283.0mm iso100

Nick Webster, E-1
1/320s f/3.5 at 200.0mm iso200

Stephen Elliott, E-3
1/1250s f/3.5 at 200.0mm iso800

Steve Marshall, E-1

Tim Afken, E-1
1/200s f/3.5 at 54.0mm iso100

Valerie Fuller, E-420 + 25mm Pancake
1/160s f/6.3 at 25.0mm iso100

I just think this is a great demonstration of the talents of our fellow Olympus UK Photo Safari Group members, and the variety of Olympus DSLRs being used in challenging conditions.

If you would like to be involved in the planning and announcements for future events, please feel free to drop me an e-mail at brian.mosley@ukphotosafari.org

A huge thanks to Olympus for their generous support - our Safari Group members are all now proudly wearing their Olympus E-System photographers' vests! and the 14-34mm lens was *out of this world* - here are a couple of shots with the E-420 + 14-35mm f2 SWD

Even more surprises in store for our next event in May!

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 30th April 2008
emirpprime

Re: Olympus UK Photo Safari Event a HUGE SUCCESS!

It looks like it must have been a great day out! Very unique. I look forward to seeing the full report.
That 14-35 really is very nice isn't it. I also think the 25mm is a decent and unusual lens, and with more announcements on the horizon... Bright times for Oly.
Phil
Old 30th April 2008
alert_bri

Thanks Phil,

it was a great day out, and great to see old friends plus meet new ones

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 30th April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh my goodness, what superb pictures, and what a wonderful opportunity too, to see these beautiful animals. They look in wonderful condition, what a pity the collection is having to be split up.
Old 1st May 2008
ndl0071

What a fantastic set of shots, thanks for posting them I really enjoyed looking at them.

Neil
Old 1st May 2008
alert_bri

Thanks Ellie, Phil, Neil...

One reason I started the Olympus UKPSG was the selfish motivation to get around experienced Olympus shooters, to become inspired by their passion for their subject (all areas from portraiture to landscape to wildlife to motorsport to macro to street to.... the list is endless!)... and to learn from them about how to get the most from my Olympus kit.

I think my photography has improved by leaps and bounds through this group, and I'm thankful to have the privilege of serving them in return!

These events will continue to develop around the country, and then internationally to make it easy for everyone to find like minded individuals, shooting Olympus DSLRs who have a willingness to learn and to share ideas.

In addition, as the group is expanding rapidly, I'm in a position (one of my business areas is negotiation) to negotiate some great discounts on behalf of our members, and hopefully to provide a route to Olympus recognising the champions of their products!

The group is not a club, or a forum, or a website... it's simply an e-mail list I run to bring real people together in social events which allows them to use Olympus kit they wouldn't find in their local retail outlet - in exciting locations and with stimulating subjects.

I hope that makes sense, it's just a grass roots movement to represent us the users... very organic and responsive to our needs as a team.

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 1st May 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looks like a good day and a great idea that I'm sure will develop.
I'm stuck to events nearer home at the moment, but I've been along to a few days out with members from the Leica user forum.

These kind of grass roots activities give manufacturers a good way of finding out what users are thinking. Turns out the CEO of Leica regularly reads and posts on the forum and I'm sure Olympus find similar feedback useful.