Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th September 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Thinking of switching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post
One final thought: Billy goats gruff.

Nick
For those that share my abysmal lack of classical education

http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/bill_goats_gruff.htm

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Janet

Whatever happens to Olympus and their strategy for 4/3, will happen. But the question I ask you and anyone else who is considering a move... is this...

Has whatever the talk has been about over the last few weeks regarding Olympus, actually caused your current camera to stop working, or become 'less good'. Are any lenses that were available to you two weeks ago, no longer available, or are they performing worse now...? What will change in your photography requirements over the next year or two or three that cannot be met by the functionality of the current Olympus line up of cameras or lenses...?

Don't let what is currently being discussed affect your photography. Your kit will perform in exactly the same manner as it did 2 weeks ago.
I completley agree with that John and indeed the e-1 e-30 and e-620 plus lenses I have will likely serve well for a very long while,perhaps at my age outlasting me.

But as some one who does not want a bulky E-5 and does not want a micro FT camera ( and I suspect there are quite a few like me) then Olympus seems to have left the likes of me at a dead end system wise (and a gap that I'm sure Nikon/Canon are only to happy to fill) , unless as I hope they release a updated lower range model later on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The way I'm looking at things at the moment is, I will continue to use my existing kit which for the most part does everything I want, however I was planing on a couple of pieces of HG glass, which I think I'll put on hold until I see where Olympus is going to go with 4/3rd format.

If there intent is to move totally to the m4/3rd (which in my opinion is a mistake) then we will move on to another brand. I don't think the m4/3rd system will ever have the performance of the 4/3rd in the key area's like AF speed, which is fine if Olympus only intends to market the m4/3rd system as a point and shoot bridge to a 4/3rd system, but it's not looking like thats the direction they are taking, and again in my opinion I think this is a mistake.

I also believe that the E-5 will be the last pro level 4/3rd body that Olympus will have if they continue down this m4/3rd road. So lets all enjoy what we currently have, and when it stops working have a look at where Olympus sits and if they don't have anything by that time that meets your requirements then move to a brand that does.
Old 25th September 2010
Alan Clogwyn

I've also started at looking to switch - to a Panasonic!
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clogwyn View Post
I've also started at looking to switch - to a Panasonic!
Panasonic is another option but it will still put you into a u4/3 system, which I'm not real interested in moving to. I will continue with my E-30 & E-510 for awhile until we see the progress with the u4/3 system and make a choice based on how well it's being developed, personally I don't see the u4/3 system being more than a amateur level system, and am hoping that Olympus doesn't abandon the higher end DSLR like the E-5.
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Personally I'm happy with what I've got and can't see me moving to another brand unless something catastrophic happens to my existing camera/lenses. Since I couldn't afford or justify the very expensive lenses of the pro or top pro range it doesn't have an impact on me. I'm not a professional photographer and don't make any money from my pictures - I just like capturing images that I like. Funnily enough as a birthday present my daughter sifted through the 1800 or so images I took when I visited her in Japan and made a book form photo album of 20 or so of my pictures - printed in the local Snappy-snaps (no not George Michaels parking place). She then wrote in both English and Kanji the location of each image on the page. It's a wonderful gift which I will cherish - and the pictures are surprisingly good too!
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 1,316 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
But as some one who does not want a bulky E-5
It always amused me when people said how bulky the E-3 was and that was why they got the E-30 and now people are saying it about the E-5.

The E-5 is only 9mm taller and 145g heavier than an E-30 despite the metal frame, bigger viewfinder and weather sealing. I suppose the higher rated shutter in the E-5 could also weigh more than the one in the E-30.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It always amused me when people said how bulky the E-3 was and that was why they got the E-30 and now people are saying it about the E-5.

The E-5 is only 9mm taller and 145g heavier than an E-30 despite the metal frame, bigger viewfinder and weather sealing. I suppose the higher rated shutter in the E-5 could also weigh more than the one in the E-30.
Yep and that's why on long days out my E-620 goes with me most of the time as its nearly half the weight of the E-5, and my E-30 is relegated to studio work, and on location portraits and occasions when I'm not carrying it a long while and no I do not want a MFT for those occasions as I like real cameras.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post

In my opinion they should have introduced a similar 'E-5 style' upgrade to the 620 and kept a dual body line up running. This would have been a minimal investment to Olympus and help continue to interest new users to the 4/3 system.
I agree and still hope that there may be an upgrade to the E-620 as I suspect it would attract new and current users to the E-System.

I have spent many hours on web-sites (and journeys to camera shops to handle the various models) comparing the E-620 to the Pens and have concluded that none of the Pens would suit me as well as the E-620 would if only the build quality of the E-620 were more like the E-3. The build quality of the EP-2 is excellent but I want a genuine optical viewfinder or an electronic viewfinder which is part of the camera body.

I have looked very carefully at the Panasonic G series and have concluded that I don't want to leave Olympus because I prefer their Four-Thirds lenses. As others have stated the micro Four-thirds lenses of Olympus and Panasonic don't compare to their Four-Thirds lenses.

So, the answer to the original question in my case is - NO ! I won't be switching; but if the E-5 price drops low enough for my budget then I shall probably buy an E-5. Or, maybe, an EP-3 ?? (if that occurs sooner) provided the viewfinder is part of the camera body and faster micro Four-Thirds lenses are produced.

Ray.
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's hard to believe that Oly would walk away from 4/3rds when, as we all know, the best thing about the E-System is the lenses, the kit lenses and semi pro level are all at or near the top of their class for price/performance, that's a position of strength I would fail to understand they can't work from.

Oly bodies aren't far out for their prices either, even the E-5, once sensible prices appear, looks competitive for image quality even if it's specs won't headline. Obviously this is an issue for Olympus, bodies get all the attention, attention helps drives volume, volume drives more volume and volume and marketshare in consumer electronics is king.

But the fact remains that Oly's lenses are often better/cheaper/smaller and when put with the pretty good bodies it makes for a very competitive system capable of excellent images in most circumstances, but this "system" view just doesn't grab the same attention in the way that 18MP, 8fps, HD 1080i, 77 focus points etc etc does.

With my limited understanding and possible over-simplification, I would have thought that if full 4/3rds and micro 4/3rds become sub-formats of a unified, probably mirrorless future, where the physical difference of the lens mount determines form-factor and performance characteristics for smaller bodies and lenses (e.g. EP-X) and bigger, faster and more robust bodies and lenses (e.g. E-X) with both sharing core component R&D resulting in a range that meets a very wide spectrum of user needs and wants in a non-compromised but compatible way (i.e. a step forward over what we have now between the PENs and E-X ranges) then surely the best of what we have now would be retained rather than discarded.

That's my glass half-full view of it anyway.

Last edited by michaelavis; 26th September 2010 at 06:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelavis For This Useful Post:
cinders (27th September 2010)
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

That was a hell of a sentence there Michael.
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
That was a hell of a sentence there Michael.
Yes, got carried away
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

I had a fondle of a Canon 7D and 5D MkII in Jessops at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol yesterday. Boy, they are BIG cameras - bigger than the E-3 it seems! A decent kit based on these bodies would be way heavier than what I already have. Super quality though as far as I have heard!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 27th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I had a fondle of a Canon 7D and 5D MkII in Jessops at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol yesterday. Boy, they are BIG cameras - bigger than the E-3 it seems! A decent kit based on these bodies would be way heavier than what I already have. Super quality though as far as I have heard!
and likely to be way more expensive too!
Old 27th September 2010
Alan Clogwyn

Going Mircro 4/3 doesnt bother me since I use legacy lenses, all that I am wirried about is noisy images and the Electronic viwewfinder of the G2. If I can get my hands on one for testing I may well be swayed, since Ican use more legacy lenses on the mFT body than I can on the full FT, plus theres a better range of primes in mFT if I want to go AF.