Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th July 2016

Liked 2,310 Times in 1,522 Posts
Re: Stop The World I Absolutely Must get Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I was referring to religion in general.

Bush claimed to be on God's mission. I don't know how Blair related to that.

Harold
I suspect Bush was referring to HIS father!

The Chilcot Report made it clear that Blair had committed the UK to action long before the Iraq war actually started. How did that commitment have anything to do with religion?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th July 2016

Thanked 1,120 Times in 702 Posts
Liked 1,463 Times in 731 Posts

Religion is basically a deeply held belief, JC walked on water and as Blair was already deeply committed into believing his own PR, probably thought he could do the same. If proof be needed, one only has to go back a week or so ago when he made the statement: "The world is a better place..." The great pity, is that we didn't put it to the test by taking him out into the middle of the Atlantic and make him walk home. Had we done so, the world would most likey, be a better place

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (25th July 2016)
Old 25th July 2016

Liked 2,310 Times in 1,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Religion is basically a deeply held belief, JC walked on water and as Blair was already deeply committed into believing his own PR, probably thought he could do the same. If proof be needed, one only has to go back a week or so ago when he made the statement: "The world is a better place..." The great pity, is that we didn't put it to the test by taking him out into the middle of the Atlantic and make him walk home. Had we done so, the world would most likey, be a better place
Unfortunately, many still hold the deeply held belief that Tony Blair was our best ever PM because he won three general elections for Labour. So in that sense I suppose Tony Blair was right - he could walk on water.

But those same people are now trying to inflict Jeremy Corbyn on us.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th July 2016
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Interesting point. Many people blame religion for the troubles in today's world, but that about is as logical as blaming the Wright Brothers for 911, or Henry Ford for last week's atrocity in Nice.

The fact is that many people have already turned their backs on religion and 'God', but the problems have become worse; not better. Indeed, many theologians would argue that it is because we have turned our backs on 'God' that we have lost sight of what is important in life, and have instead devoted ourselves to material goods, possessions and personal gain.

Organised religions are not without their faults, and it is certainly true that many atrocities are carried out in the name of religions (rather than because of them); but the individuals concerned invariably have a very warped view of scripture (assuming they have even read the scriptures concerned), and all too often have serious mental health issues. These same people would probably have been incarcerated in mental asylums in previous times (before 'care in the community') along with many thousands of others who should never have been there, including unmarried girls who became pregnant.

However, the real problem, in my view, is the internet and social media, which has given a voice to the ignorant, as well as to racist bigots and all kinds of nutters who would be better not listened to. Normal, balanced individuals will either ignore these people, or will try to engage with them; usually with little success in my experience. However, there will always be a small minority of impressionable people who will listen to such vile outpourings without question, and may even try to act out their violent ideology.

Add to this the proliferation of violent movies and computer games which 'normalise' violence in the minds of the impressionable few and we have a perfect recipe for the kind of atrocities that we have seen all too much of in recent months.

I also believe the media have a lot to answer for, publishing and broadcasting all kinds of trivia and salacious gossip 'in the public interest', or perhaps because it sells more newspapers.

It is quite right that our elected officials should be held to account for their actions and inactions, but right now we know far more about the minutiae of their personal lives than we need to, and far more than is good for us or them. This only services to undermine public trust; often for no good reason in my view.

So whilst the media were obsessing over MP's sexual antics and expenses claims they allowed a 'squeaky clean family man' Prime Minister to take us to war for no good reason.

Where was the public interest there?
I do agree that the media have a lot to do with the incidents by virtue of giving people/organisations the oxygen of publicity. This along with the usual suspects of greed, megalomania and corruption contribute to the complicated set of causes. However I cannot agree that religion is not a very significant part of that as well. The oft stated difference between "in the name of " and "not directly because of" always rings very hollow to me and personally I find it an unconvincing debating point. Whilst I agree that religion is not always the sole cause it is frequently part of a complex set of triggers.

The other point is that we do hear about more of these incidents because of the media so we must always bear in mind that atrocities have always gone on, for centuries or even millennia, but we simply did not hear of them. Indeed even now much goes unreported in this country largely because it is not considered sufficiently news worthy for on reason or another but the overall tendency is to hear about much more.

Having said that we do seem to be in an unusually rich patch of nastiness, which is why I started this thread, and of course the majority of it has, at it's heart, one particular religion.

Hec
Old 25th July 2016
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Good point, but I don't think Tony Blair's war in Iraq had anything to do with Roman Catholicism; more his awe of one George W Bush and his craving to be remembered as a great war leader along with Churchill and Maggie Thatcher, (who, coincidentally, saw her commons majority significantly increase following the Falklands War).
Interestingly of course his devout Roman Catholicism failed to deter him and if my memory serves me correctly GW said that god told him to invade.

Hec