Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 29th March 2015

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts
Re: Big Step

Just to clarify, I'm not brand bashing nor do I feel I am a victim.

I have never ever before owned a brand new camera. I've grown up here using an E400 initially, then an E420 and then I was extremely excited to buy an E3. None of them new or the current model when I purchased them. In fact all of my gear has been purchased pre owned via the for sale pages on this forum except the 400 which was from eBay, the same with my lenses, 70-300 then an EC14 and finally the Sigma 50-500 so please do not preach to me about money buying success, that's ballcocks. Perseverance, determination and learning brings you success. You can't buy field craft or subject knowledge either.

I had fully intended my next purchase to be an E5 but the second hand value that they command encouraged me to look around. I initially had settled on a d3300 but then found the D7100 on a German site, body only for just under £500. For me it was a no brainer. Again, I shopped around for the Tamron and combined with some vouchers I had had from work I physically had to fork out £240 of my own hard earned. Effectively this has cost me £740, £80 less than my E3 and Bigma equated too.

I am pleased to say though that the majority, if not all, of my learning has come from this forum not just from thread comments but detailed conversations via PM too.

My photography has developed and I have found, that after playing with many, many different types, my passion lies with wildlife and motorsport. Therefor, I have bought kit that I feel is best for those two genre. I will also be purchasing a macro lens at some stage too.

My Oly gear? I am going to keep it for a few more years in the hope that I can get my son to enjoy my hobby as much as I do. To teach him photography with the same kit I learned with will be so pleasurable, you can't put a price on that!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (29th March 2015)