Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,683 Times in 831 Posts
Warning Latest Photoshop/Lightroom CC Updates

The latest updates for users using the Photography Bundle of Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom has just been released.

There are some interesting new options like PS for iPad (see the post by Internaut). BUT true to form for Adobe updates there are issues, at least if you are using a Mac.

The updates all worked but my Plugin/Filters for PS did not make the transfer. Luckily they were left in the older 2019 version so I copied them across and they then worked.

The name change to Photoshop 2020 also messed up my Dock and the original icon just appeared as a question mark.

It also "upgrades" ?? your catalogue in Lightroom so be sure you have a backup. That bit seems to have worked as far as I can tell but not fully tested.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 759 Times in 504 Posts
Re: Warning Latest Photoshop/Lightroom CC Updates

Thanks Dave for the warnings. I just tried updating Camera Raw and it's taking ages, I think all the world is downloading the updates at the moment so I'll leave it a day or two.

Please keep us posted about any good new stuff/broken old stuff. Do you print from Photoshop?

John
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,683 Times in 831 Posts

I only print occasionally from PS I am happy to try to check something out if you want?

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks for the offer but don't worry about it. They screwed up the print dialogue pretty badly several releases ago and it wasn't fixed last time I checked. I'll have a look once I've updated.

By the way, the Adobe website says the raw processor now supports the E-M5 Mark III.

John
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 133 Times in 75 Posts

Just updated my PCs with latest versions and I am now as totally confused as I could ever wish to be.

I have a monthly subscription to the Adobe Photography plan, which gives me a version of Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom and Lightroom Classic. The plan allows me to run the Apps on two computers, can be installed on more than 2 (but only run one at a time) - accessed by deactivation one and re-activation the third. Why it cannot be allowed to be activated on more than two machines permanently as long as only one can be used at a time I don't know. Anyway, that's by the by.

I have 3 PCs with the plan installed on 2 x 64 bit machines and 1 x 32 bit machine.

Coming to the software. I have Photoshop 2019, Photoshop 2020, Photoshop 21.0.0, Photoshop 20.0.7 and Photoshop CC showing as either being installed on the PCs or being available in Adobe Cloud. I have Bridge 2019, Bridge 2020, Bridge 9.1.0.338 and Bridge 10.0.0.124 on PCs or in the cloud. Then there is Lightroom (showing as version 3 - I thought that was long dead) and Lightroom Classic (9.0 release). I only use the Classic version of LR. All software are the very latest downloads, even the LR version 3! What that's about I've no idea.

As they say, confused dot com.

Steve
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I haven't updated yet, but I'll take a wild guess:

PS 20.0.7 and PS 2019 are the same thing masquerading under 2 different names. Ditto PS 21.0.0 and PS 2020, and similar for the Bridges. (My version of Bridge, which shows externally as Bridge 2019, identifies itself as 9.1.0.338 for example).

Lightroom Classic is the "heavyweight" version and I think the latest upgrade is to version 9. I think Lightroom (with no further qualifier) is the host end of the cloud version - which is why, being newer, it has a much lower version number.

Since PS and Bridge are new versions, you might be able to safely uninstall the old ones. But since the only thing you would get back is some disk space and there is a non-zero probability of something screwing up, I would be inclined to leave well alone!

They don't like to make it easy for us, do they. I used to work in mainframe software support and every so often IBM would arbitrarily rename all their products. Of course, it took years for the documentation to be updated to match so unless you had been familiar with something for a long time it was very confusing indeed.

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
Wreckdiver (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 133 Times in 75 Posts

Yes, it is confusing John, why they have to keep changing things I don't know. I also find it irritating when they reorganise the left-hand tool bar in Photoshop and put things in different groups. Some time ago I used to find that after each upgrade all my preferences were reset Doesn't seem to do that now thankfully.

There are other issues but the biggest one for me at the moment is with Bridge. The last few releases I've found that the Workspace keeps resetting itself every time I minimise or close the program. I have a custom "Photography" workspace set up for my workflow. Minimise and maximise Bridge and the whole workspace has changed even though it still shows "Photography" as the workspace. I have to "Reset Workspace" every time switch to it and it gets damn annoying. Others on the Adobe forums have the same experience and there is sod-all help from Adobe.

Ho hum........

Steve
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Bridge doesn't do that for me, Steve. Like you, I have a custom workspace set up. When I started Bridge the first time after the upgrade, it had "essentials" active, but I just selected my own and the selection seems to have stuck. I have stopped-started and minimised-maximised a few times now and it seems OK.

Of course, setting this down in writing could cause it all to go belly-up now......

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
Wreckdiver (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 118 Times in 42 Posts

Updated mine to 2020 yesterday ,transferred my library all seem to be working fine on my I.mac ... in fact a couple of parts seem to be working a bit better than before .. hope it stays that way
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I eventually got them all updated OK - PS took several goes, I presume the Adobe servers were working overtime when I tried. As far as I can see most things are working OK, but it looks as though the PS print dialogue has still not been fixed.

I really like the multiple exports from LR.

John