Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10

Olympus OM-D E-M10 The smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 11th August 2019

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Accurate colour reproduction

I am a keen amateur plant photographer but also only just starting to move away from Auto mode. Iíve been trying to photograph some salvia flowers I have which are pale yellow and a sort of primrose yellow. To the eye both have a lovely intensity to them (but nothing like a sunflower yellow) but when I photograph them they come out almost white.
Iíve fiddled with White Balance, Aperture, Shutter Speed and a few other bits and pieces (sorry, Iím only just learning about my E-M10) which does improve on Auto so I get a bit more yellow colour but even then I donít get the subtle grading of yellow shades in the petal that I see with my eye. Itís just as bad using my iPhone, the yellow is reproduced very pale so wonder if this is something that is common or am I being unrealistic with what I want. I wondered if anyone could give me any advice. Iím using the 60mm macro lens. The first photo was taken with my iPhone and the second with the Oly after changing to P mode and changing WB to Shadow. Itís a bit of a subjective question as you canít see what I see in real life so maybe just some general advice on photographing pale colours. Thanks, James.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4E6FDC7C-7EE5-4668-A819-14026DC43A85.jpg (18.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg A39B3540-FD3B-48C5-983A-9904929F2FE5.jpg (13.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 11th August 2019

Liked 1,563 Times in 768 Posts
Re: Accurate colour reproduction

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The images you posted are very small so its not easy to see much detail. Can you post larger versions? The best way is to upload them to your gallery on here and then post the link shown in your gallery in a message here. Or if you use an external hosting site simply paste the url of your image here.

That said capturing fine shade variations in pale colours is not always easy, its very dependent on the lighting, where exactly you focus and where you measure the brightness of the image.

To get the best out of your image shoot in RAW mode then you can load the image in a photo editor of your choice and tweak the colour settings to get what you want.

Your EM10 is capable of capturing fine detail with the right settings and a bit of practice. Here is an example of one I took a few weeks ago. This was a Raw image and processed in Lightroom.

My Flickr

Last edited by wornish; 11th August 2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added image
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (11th August 2019)
Old 11th August 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,272 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: Accurate colour reproduction

The very first thing you need to do is to ensure that your computer display is accurately calibrated.

The most basic way to do this is to use a photograph (print) you know has correct colour and to adjust the monitor display to match the photo (on the screen), but that's a very basic solution.

If you are serious about getting the colour right you really need a screen calibrator.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com