Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th July 2019

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts
Goodbye Flickr

Finally reached the end of my tether with Flickr. Unable to get into my account without making a new login and giving Yahoo access my details and images. It looks like they want me to create a Yahoo account, with Yahoo email address (which isn't going to happen as all my email addresses are within my own personal Domain). Then they are dictating what I can and can't have as a password - I have my passwords set my way so I can remember them easily.

I'm starting to get very irritated with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and the likes of) wanting my personal details and images for what I perceive as for their commercial interest/gain, so I have started deleting/suspending my accounts.

Goodbye Flickr, I'll have to see if there's a way I can delete my account and images from your site. My images will only be viewable from my website (and those that are on this forum) from now on.

Sorry folks, rant over but I am really tired now of how these companies are using people for their own gains. I'm opting out.

Steve
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (24th July 2019), Naughty Nigel (26th July 2019), OM USer (3 Weeks Ago), wornish (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 24th July 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts
Re: Goodbye Flickr

Steve - where are you putting your images etc now for online consumption

I used Easily until earlier this year when they totally changed their access methods so I am looking for a new home for my shareable information.
Old 24th July 2019

Liked 190 Times in 126 Posts

Steve, I'm a little confused. Surely Flickr is moving away from Yahoo login as it's now owned by Smugmug.
I believe you need to migrate your account away from Yahoo. I use a email addresses on my own domain as well.
Have a read HERE

Update-1
From what I remember, the process wasn't very well explained, and I seem to remember having issues where it wanted me to create a new Yahoo account.
What was actually happening was that this PC was at the time connected to a BTinternet account, which also used Yahoo for email access.
When I tried migrating my Flickr account away from Yahoo, I kept getting intercepted by Yahoo/BT.

I carried out the migration using a different browser and everything worked OK, but as soon as I went back to Opera, Yahoo took over again and wanted me to create a new account to access Flickr.
Deleting all the relevant cookies, BT, Flickr & Yahoo from Opera cured the problem.

To prove it for you (and me), I've just logged out of Flickr in Opera, and logged back in again using my default email address on my own domain; (of the form xxxxxx@zzzzz.one which doesn't even look like a conventional email address.)

Update-2
Steve, have you actually received your login migration email yet? Also do you remember if you changed your Flickr Primary contact email address on your account to one running on your own domain?
I'd be tempted to try a password reset on your Yahoo access to get you back in and then update /check your primary address.
I had all sorts of bother as I was using Yahoo in 4 separate ways, BT email, Flickr, and two different sets of Yahoo newsgroups/

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (25th July 2019)
Old 24th July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
Steve, I'm a little confused. Surely Flickr is moving away from Yahoo login as it's now owned by Smugmug.
I believe you need to migrate your account away from Yahoo. I use a email addresses on my own domain as well.
Have a read HERE
Every time I try to login to my Flickr account I get a Yahoo page telling me to create a new login. That's the only option I get.

Steve
Old 24th July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Steve - where are you putting your images etc now for online consumption

I used Easily until earlier this year when they totally changed their access methods so I am looking for a new home for my shareable information.
On my website Derek: www.stevecain.co.uk

Steve
Old 24th July 2019

Liked 190 Times in 126 Posts

Steve, I've just updated/expanded on my previous comment
PM me if you wish for my phone number

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 24th July 2019

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,754 Posts

Must admit I also seem to have those login problems.

Using Opera, I am able to login "Normally". So it may be an MS Edge problem as much as a Flickr problem.

I still think that Flickr is still in a transitory stage after leaving Yahoo behind.

I would be reluctant to move as I am "Friends" with many photographers around the world......

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
peak4 (24th July 2019)
Old 24th July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
Steve, have you actually received your login migration email yet? Also do you remember if you changed your Flickr Primary contact email address on your account to one running on your own domain?
I'd be tempted to try a password reset on your Yahoo access to get you back in and then update /check your primary address.
I have only ever used email addresses on my own domain and have done so for many, many years.

I tried to login today at work using Firefox but I'll try again now I am at home and see if I can get in.

To be honest, I really couldn't give a toss about it social media now. I suspended my Facebook account about a month ago and I am not missing all the utter rubbish that is on the site.

Edit: Firefox on my home PC doesn't show Yahoo login now, work's PC did. So got in and account is now deleted.

Steve
Old 24th July 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,278 Posts
Liked 1,754 Times in 791 Posts

I happened to have logged into my rather negelected Flickr account today as my daughter was looking for some easily accessible landscape photos.

I use my gmail address to log in.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 25th July 2019

Liked 710 Times in 301 Posts

I was able to set it up with my Hotmail address.
Old 26th July 2019

Liked 702 Times in 372 Posts

Think they are trying to revamp the whole flickr. and yes, it's a microsoft edge thing. I use Google Chrome without any problems.

As for me, I no longer have access to my old yahoo account. I tried to change it to my current Gmail but they say my gmail is linked to another flickr. I have since deactivated it but I still cannot change or update it to reflect the gmail.

From the flickr site.

Quote:
Logging in with a username

We are in the process of transitioning away from Yahoo login. On our new login page, you’ll need to use an email address to sign in, and not a Yahoo ...
LAST UPDATE: JUNE 4TH 2019, 6:44AM

All my garbage so far.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I think I may be going wreckdiver's way. Flickr locked me out keep saying my email is still linked even after I have terminated that account. It's been 3 days and still not resolved.

Please suggest the next alternative?

Edit---Just restored. Think have to think of alternative if I am going to constantly encounter hiccups

All my garbage so far.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 551 Times in 285 Posts

Unfortunately, there is no alternative to what Flickr does overall...and Flickr know it.

There is ipernity but they lost their chance for being great a good while ago and now it's just barely ticking over.

Having said that, It really depends what you actually do on Flickr and what you use it for. If you use the groups etc. etc. then no real choice of anything else. If you use it for storage, which I would not recommend, then you can take your pick.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Unfortunately, there is no alternative to what Flickr does overall...and Flickr know it.

There is ipernity but they lost their chance for being great a good while ago and now it's just barely ticking over.

Having said that, It really depends what you actually do on Flickr and what you use it for. If you use the groups etc. etc. then no real choice of anything else. If you use it for storage, which I would not recommend, then you can take your pick.

I am more on storage and linking to forums.

What about using my own always on PC as an alternative? 5TB drives are not that costly but of course there is the issue of security, then the available bandwidth, ease of use and etc.

All my garbage so far.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 551 Times in 285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
I am more on storage and linking to forums.

What about using my own always on PC as an alternative? 5TB drives are not that costly but of course there is the issue of security, then the available bandwidth, ease of use and etc.
Everything I value is on three external hard drives ..... which are turned on to save, then turned off again until I need to save again. Yes, I know they are all in the same place but I could always put one in our small fireproof safe (which are quite cheap now).

Many people put all their pictures to Flickr for storage when Yahoo offered 1T on the free account to bring business in and make it Flickr viable to sell, then were really upset when Flickr, now under Smugmug, changed the rules to just 1000 pictures per free account. You just have no idea when a company will change the rules, go bust, or even have a little upset and lose a server full of peoples photos.

Just my halfpenny's worth