View Single Post
Old 25th April 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
Re: Electric Vehicles Emit more CO2 than Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
It isn't just business meetings either. Where is the justification for thousands of delegates and other hangers-on flying to the furthest points of the globe to attend climate change summits?

Then there is the showbiz set who fly to climate change protests in their private jets, but drive a Toyota Pious to show they care about the environment. For that matter, where is the justification for 60,000 people flying thousands of miles to watch 22 overpaid prima donnas kicking a ball around? You see more on the telly!
Yes, there are double standards and gross hypocrisy right across the board. Making the necessary sacrifices always applies to others, never ourselves - gosh, what we are doing in our lives is so much more important than the priorities of anybody else. We deserve to be exempt!

I'm broadly supportive of the sentiments of the climate change protesters in London; they are at least drawing attention to the urgency of the problem. However, for a group who claim the moral high ground in caring for the environment, they left a huge amount of discarded empty plastic drinks bottles amongst other rubbish. Also, I saw several interviewed who proudly stated the distance they had travelled to be there. Wouldn't their case be more convincing if they had taken action in their home towns?

Good point about the football; on Monday Norwich City even filled their stadium with fans to watch an away match on giant screens! I suppose it is marginally better than having them travel to Stoke (where the match was actually played) but as Nigel says, what's wrong with the telly at home?

To end with a slight photographic flavour, my son was in London on Saturday for a medical appointment and just happened to run into the protest. Like any good photography student he had his camera with him and started to take pictures, only to be promptly told by a policeman to vacate the scene or risk being arrested. I like to think I would have taken that risk, if only to stand up for photographer's rights!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (25th April 2019), Naughty Nigel (25th April 2019)