View Single Post
Old 8th March 2011

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Olympus presence at Focus on Imaging

Quote:
Bear in mind that future mirrorless bodies might not neccesarily be the same shape and size as the current Pens. There is no reason why a "pro" body similar in form to an E-5 but mirrorless shouldn't be produced.
Fascinating discussion; I recall that when the E-300 appeared, at least one magazine dismissed it as a serious camera largely because it didn't look like a serious camera - i.e. it didn't have an awkward lump otherwise known as a pentaprism housing. I thought that was one of its selling points (and of the original Pen F film reflexes come to that - though the only one of those I owned literally fell to pieces within hours of buying it - but I'd still like another one). I still use an E-300 in preference to the E-3 for some jobs because it slips into a small bag more easily. It might have a mirror on the side, but at least it's optical - my limited experience with electronic viewfinders is not encouraging, slightly jumpy, false looking images. They will get better, but until then, please Olympus, keep the real 4/3 flag flying.

Back to Focus on Imaging - despite the minimal Oly presence, I was surprised how many Olympus users there were - several times I was looking at a stand to realise that the person next to me was also looking for 4/3 lenses or querying whether this firm or that had compatible bits. No cameras in sight - but the demand must be there.