View Single Post
Old 27th September 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts
Re: Sigma Four Thirds 30mm f/1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
That review is of the m43 lens, not the 4/3 version. IIRC, the older 4/3 version is a variant of the 30mm f1.4 that's still sold for APS-C DSLR cameras. It seems it's not so good optically but the biggest issue is unreliable AF. There's a review by Robin Wong here:

https://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/201...ympus-e-5.html

Quote:
Yes, the Sigma 30mm is very soft when it is being used wide open (at F1.4 to F2), and do not expect any Zuiko quality sharpness in any of my images displayed in this entry.
but...

Quote:
Oh the bokeh (background blur) when you shoot at wide open F1.4, is heavenly!! That itself is enough to make up for the absence of usual Olympus Zuiko absolute sharpness.
However:

Quote:
I do find the autofocus to be very unreliable, and I am not kidding. The autofocus is fast, it is actually faster than the Olympus 50mm F2. However, even on the viewfinder I can see that the focusing was not doing its job accordingly, and failed to lock focus accurately even after the “beep” confirmation. This does not happen very frequent (probably 2-3 times out of 25 shots), but frequent enough to get on my nerves. Because of this issue, I have become less confident with my shooting, and I needed to take quite a handful of shots of the same subjects, just in case I did not hit pin point focus accuracy the first time I fired the shot.
I would think the AF would still be problem on u43 using the MMF adapter.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
RobEW (27th September 2017), Shaw (27th September 2017)