View Single Post
Old 11th September 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,113 Posts
Re: A few Sunday questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have several questions. I have an E-1 and a CBB 18-400 f6.3-9.5 zoom. I want to go longer, I saw a post somewhere about a new Canon lens, a 200-600 HS DOH zoom, should I get that? An alternative would be one of the new 3x Pro teleconvertors that are now available, that would turn my 24-300 into a 72-900 lens, I don't think I'd be able to hand hold anything longer than a 900 anyway.

I have a very good tripod, it cost me nearly 20, but I don't use it anymore because my photos never looked any sharper when I used it than when I hand held my camera.

Of course, if I got the Canon lens I'd need a second body for it, so does any one know when the E-2 is going to be available?

I want to shoot a photo essay of my cat that I'm planning on to National Geographic. My plan is to submit the shots that National Geographic don't publish to a photo agency. Would I be better with a general agency or a wildlife agency?
I think you'll find the Canon 200-600 will be quite expensive, far better to go the teleconverter route. Don't use the 3x converter, though, I've heard the quality isn't that good. Far better to use two 2x converters, the quality will be better and you'll get even more magnification.

I'm not sure about handholding such a long focal length, you'd need to use a shutter speed of at least 1/125th of a second as the E-1 doesn't have IS. Far better to get a really decent tripod, one costing at least 30 including the head, although any unsharp pictures can always be sharpened in Photoshop.

I would save the shots that National Geoghraphic don't publish for the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition.

David, you are awful..........

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau