View Single Post
Old 5th February 2011

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Langstone Harbour, The Oysterbeds etc. - Continued

Sorry about that, had an emergency to deal with.

Following the railway track bed south, a salt marsh was off to our left. This is one of my favourite spots as it is visited by a great variety of birds. It was here Ellie took her image of the egret.
Also resident today was a Redshank that decided it wanted to keep eating instead of roosting while the tide was in.

A female Kestrel was hunting in this area. See Ellie's image. We watched it for some time and saw it take prey twice. I was able to predict when this bird would strike on both occasions. The bird turns to get head wind and hovers, looking for prey. When she spots it, she will become almost stationary and drop about 50% of the height, still watching to confirm in the hover again. When sure, she drops like a stone, kills her prey, then flies off to consume it. I had a split second to get the image below as the Kestrel flew out from the vegetation.

We also saw a pair of rabbits sunning in the grass.

We were also aware that Buzzards were in the area, we saw some land in a tree. These would be fair game for the Buzzards.

We turned off the Hayling Billy trail and arrived at the Oysterbeds. Gulls and a lone Little Grebe were present today at the lagoon. we then followed the coast, alongside the old oysterbed sites heading north once more.

At this time, the tide had turned and once submerged land/mud was again exposed. A Curlew was spending quite a lot of time searching for food amongst the rocks.

Here in the company of a Redshank and Oystercatcher.

Towards the end of the Oysterbeds we came across a number of birds that were preparing to move into the harbour when the tide had dropped sufficiently.

Black-tailed Godwit roosting and a Lapwing.

Grey Plover (large bird in centre) and Dunlin.

Brent geese

Lapwing

Hope you enjoy the images as much as we enjoyed taking them

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterD For This Useful Post:
Melaka (5th February 2011)