View Single Post
Old 17th November 2015

Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 2,069 Times in 1,122 Posts
Re: Expose to the Right of the Histogram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I have not heard of this before but it sounds like some form of an algorithmic guessing game, since once the well is full, there's no way for the electronics to determine the degree of clipping. 1x, 1.1x ...10x, or any other value. Some form of interpolation based on neighbouring pixels, maybe.
If someone knows better, please pipe up, I'm more than intrigued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
There is no way of escaping the fact that once the highlights are blown, they are blown. However, in practice raw files (especially from latest generation sensors) have quite a wide margin for retaining detail, which can be pulled back in processing, from highlights that at the time of capture the camera indicated were overexposed. It takes practice to accurately judge how much indicated overexposure you can get away with before the data becomes irretrievable, but when you get it right it makes full use of the dynamic range of your camera's sensor. Of course, if you are photographing fairly static subjects you can hedge your bets by exposure bracketing.
That's true of the camera models with the latest sensors such as E-M5 onwards (as you have also indicated) but the earlier models with the 12MP Panasonic sensor (& also a camera such as the Stylus 1) does not have the luxury of having that extra headroom (or much of it) within the raw file & therefore extra care needs to be taken not to blow the highlights (where it matters) but at the same time not to expose to the left either to maximise the detail possible from the exposure. That's my opinion anyhow. I would agree with the AE bracketing, something I should use occasionally.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).