Thread: E-P1 second try
View Single Post
Old 5th February 2011
pr1uk

E-P1 second try

Hello,
I had an E-P1 but sold it on within a week for profit but always thought i wish i had tried it more as i loved the build.
Well i just got a secondhand one charged the battery up and first thoughts lovely its silver and the build quality great. Had a friend here with his camera so as he was leaving i formatted a card took 2 shots from my boat with his camera. After he went i put card in the E-P1 and took 2 shots again from same position. I shot both in raw and jpg then i put all the files on my computer opened with the default Apple viewer covered the top so i could not see the file names then sat back and viewed. My mates camera is a Ricoh GX200 my sensor is huge compared so i knew what was going to happen. First i preferred the jpg to raw and two of the shots stood out the sharpness and colour and when cropped the detail oh yes a definite winner. When i had the E-P1 before i took some shots to test the camera in full sun and the results were very good the pancake lens. This E-P1 has the 14mm - 42mm lens and it was late afternoon not dark but getting there. As said there was a winner and it was easy to see one of the cameras stood out. The clear winner of this short test looking at the colour, sharpness and detail was the (disappointed) Ricoh GX200. The little small sensor Ricoh won hands down the E-P1 was reset to factories before the test. My friend is coming over again hopefully sunday and we will do another test again using the same card and try and do identical shots. Oh by the way i had no problem with the focusing its faster then i remembered using firmware 1.4.
Test so far not good for the pen and if the GX beats it that easy on Sunday it will be on sale again Monday. Cant understand how a camera with such a small sensor beat a camera with such a large one.