View Single Post
Old 6th December 2015

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts
Re: Wildlife photographer of the year

Most wildlife photographers feel they want the kit that enables them to have the best chance of shooting birds in flight, plus it's only in the past year or two that many pros of any type have been going mirrorless. It's also only since production of the 40-150/1.4 combination that Oly have had a long lens that's good enough for a lot of wildlife.

Pros also want to stick with kit that has already proved reliable in their own hands and that they know: it's perfectly understandable that there is only slow change. Failure means you don't get paid. There have to be proven benefits before they'll take the risk.

If OMD CAF performance can genuinely be improved with next year's releases, and the 300 and 100-400 appear and are good, then a higher proportion will switch. Remember that Fuji are also now producing longer lenses and a t/c, and that some Sony bodies already have reasonable CAF with tracking (although not yet good long glass) so they may not choose Oly (although here Panasonic's video supremacy probably works in favour of m4/3 for people who shoot stills and video since you can have one of each body and maximise advantages while also having backup).

I've also recently been to the Landscape Photographer OTY show at Waterloo station: all were CaNikon bar (as I recall) one Sony, one Fuji, one ?Ricoh and one 10x8 plate camera with a Fujinon lens! Not surprising for landscape, perhaps.

Finally, earlier in the year I went to the Travel POTY at the Royal Geographical Soc. Penetration of mirrorless here was higher but still minimal - I forget the exact numbers, but it was something like 90% Canikon, 5% Sony, 3% Fuji and 2% bar (including only one Olympus E-M1).

I spoke to one of the judges at the TPOTY, himself a long-term Fuji mirrorless user, and he said a matching 90% of the submissions to the comp were still on DSLRs.

I don't accept that all these competitions can be influenced by the DSLR manufacturers sponsorship of the events: it's down to the pros and serious amateurs being understandably slow to switch. It will come, probably first in the TPOTY.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.