View Single Post
Old 29th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus Ignored By Media & Retailers?

To give a little perspective on my choice of Olympus, my dad's film SLRs were all Nikon, and when he switched to digital, he got a D200. He's not a man to believe that only the top camera in a manufacturer's arsenal is the only one worth using as a pro - a rich gimp will struggle with the top model, while a talented pro will take great shots with even budget equipment.

He tried to tell me Nikon was the way to go when we were buying the E-410, partly as I would have had access to his pro lenses (mostly for portraits etc), and he would have liked a shot on the longer telephoto lens I wanted (and only getting round to actually getting now ). I think I did consider the D40/D40x, as well as the 350D at the time. But I liked what I read about the E-Series, and the Zuiko lenses in particular, and I liked the form factor of the bodies. And I guess I also liked the idea of not following the herd (iPhone? not me - I'll stick with my X10). This might not always be a good thing, as more often than not*, there's usually good reason for the herd to be doing what they're doing, and I could be missing out.

But I really like the E-410, and am excited to be getting an E-620, kit lenses & 70-300. I'm also getting a new backpack & sorting out a new strap set-up. Exciting times for me, and I'm very happy to be sticking with Olympus gear.

Mark

* Religion excepted, of course...

HAVE: E-620 | HLD-5 | ED14-42 | ED40-150 | ED70-300
CURIOUS ABOUT: Sigma 50-500 Or | EC-14 For 70-300
DREAM OF: E-5 | HLD-4 | ED7-14| ED14-35 | ED35-100 | ED90-250 | EC-14 | EC-20