View Single Post
Old 12th January 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
Re: Any precautions I should take?

Congratulation, Tracey, and what a wonderful holiday you have to look forward to!

I'm tempted to say that after 25 years you should know what precautions......but I won't!

But seriously, you must take a camera. i can only guess what the conditions will be like, based on your description. The main problem with volcanos, I would think (apart from the obvious) would be if they are issuing dust or ash. A dust proof camera bag would be a good idea, plus a cloth or some wipes to remove dust that settles on your camera when using it. Refrain from changing lenses where there is a lot of dust and when you do, remove dust from the camera and lens first.

Dry air shouldn't be a particular problem but once again it could be accompanied by dust.

Rain forest may give you a humidity problem. Keep the camera in a bag with silica gel when not using it, wipe any moisture before putting it away and get it out to air once back at the hotel, after leaving it a while if there is a temperature variation. If shooting in wet or very humid conditions a plastic bag with a hole for the lens will help protect the camera. Keep a clear filter on the front of the camera and have a lens cloth to hand to wipe the filter as it mists up (better a filter than the front element of the lens!)

Take plenty of memory cards, batteries and a charger - and an adapter for the local type of mains plug. Shoot loads of pictures and post them all here when you get back.

Most of all, have a great time!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau