View Single Post
Old 16th July 2019

Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts
300mmm F4 rear cover part falling off!

Something to watch out for.

I had some trouble mounting the 300mm F4 IS Pro after swapping out the teleconverter. While juggling camera, lens and teleconverter I couldn't find the orange mount alignment dot on the lens.

It turns out that small dot actually appears to be a small pin that helps to keep the rear black metal cover on along with some glue.

So hot day, pin thing fallen out, been holding the camera-lens with the convertor on around this part of the lens and I found this rear part of the lens is now loose and comes right off!

Good news is it is made of metal and I didn't lose it. Bad news is it is only held on with glue and this orange dot pin stops it rotating. Wish they would use screws!

So now we can see this isn't attached very well, I wouldn't recommend to pick the lens up by this part as it may fall off and you drop the lens.

This might have got loosened when I used the lens without the lens foot and just the decoration ring and sort of grabbed the lens by the neck (I usually stand it upright on my desk).

I've sent a message to Olympus support to get an idea of repair costs as this is out of warranty now. Then decide whether to glue it or send it off for service!

300F4-1 by Bill Dennis, on Flickr

300F4-2 by Bill Dennis, on Flickr

300F4-3 by Bill Dennis, on Flickr
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BDennis For This Useful Post:
Beagletorque (19th July 2019), Bengeo (16th July 2019), pault (17th July 2019)