Thread: A Little Beauty
View Single Post
Old 11th June 2008

Liked 895 Times in 408 Posts
Re: A Little Beauty

Nick

On the ID I am afraid I lean towards books rather than google and wiki and if it is woundwort then an open flower to show the white markings would have helped. The colour of yours is far more attractively deep than the specimen I see here but everything else looks right and so it probably is.

I spent a while photographing it's near relative the yellow archangel at bluebell time and appreciate the shot you have for its good points. It is really hard to get a good specimen in the right light and without damage, bird crap etc. That said all you end up with is a botanical specimen shot - however good (and this is good).

How do you weave in its story? It has been known since ancient times as a medical plant, made into poultices and ointments to stem bleeding and act as an antiseptic. It was planted in monastery gardens and also churchyards. My book also says toads enjoy living in it's shade. It is a plant with a story to tell.

I have no real answer to my question, it is just I believe that there needs to be a story in really excellent photographs. What sets apart an image from others? Technical perfection is just a small part. And I believe you have that part sorted. Many of your other shots fill the story element far better - and as you know I am a supporter of your passionate photography of urban wildlife.

IT IS PERFECT but is it complete.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr