View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2014

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Button press and shutter

Not sure I'm with the other posters here. I used to have Canon gear - a 350d, then a 40d and finally a 5dii. On none of them did I ever feel I'd missed a critical moment, whereas I often do feel that way using my u43 cameras.

I think the reason is clear - the EVF/LCD image will always be a little behind the real world action. It's unavoidable - the sensor has to be read continuously (all 16 million pixels) and then the CPU has to run the de-mosaic processing and other image manipulation to make something that's displayable, then it needs to be rendered on the screen. All this takes time - so at the point you press, the real world is ahead of what you see on the screen. Once you press, then the shutter has to close and the sensor has to be cleared down - only then can the shutter open for the real exposure. All this has to happen even if you've already focussed. By contrast, if you're using a DSLR with an OVF, then what you see really is the real world (barring speed of light effects!). When you press the shutter, the only delay before exposure starts is raising the mirror and as any DSLR of today will demonstrate, the manufacturers have got this down to a fine art.

I don't think AWB, exposure etc are factors. Exposure is done before the shutter is pressed and in any case is fairly quick. AWB will be done after the image is taken, although I accept that white balance (auto or otherwise) is one of the things that is done to render the EVF.
Portfolio Site
Instagram