View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2019

Liked 3,643 Times in 1,685 Posts
Re: Thornton Pickard 5x4" half-plate view camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I wonder if anyone here knows anything about Thornton Pickard 5x4" half-plate view cameras, or could point me to any fora or resources for people who might?

A friend in the village has lovely 10x8" and 5x4" Thornton Pickard view cameras, which he mainly likes for their aesthetic qualities, although they do have working shutters. The 10x8 is complete, but he's missing a lens for the 5x4 and he'd like to track one down (either a Thornton Pickard, or else something from the period that will fit). The lens mounting boards have different screw threads and aperture sizes for the two cameras.

We've done some research without turning up any obvious & recent leads, so before we start a blunderbuss approach I thought I'd pose the question to the hive mind here...

Anyone wanting to find out more than they probably wanted to know about Thornton Pickard (based in and near Manchester: active between the late 1880's and 1939) could click here: http://www.altrinchamheritage.com/wp...ndell-1992.pdf
I have a tatty one. Complete with lens. Don't want to part with it but let me know if I can help with details...

Thornton Pickard 9
by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Thornton Pickard 2

Thornton Pickard 6

I picked it up in an auction in the early 70's. I did try it out with photo paper rather than film, but as such it won't catch on...………..

Mark J

My Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (3rd February 2019), Naughty Nigel (4th February 2019)