View Single Post
Old 19th August 2019

Liked 753 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
One thing to consider, when using multiple camera bodies, is to ensure that there is no duplication of filenames from the same photo shoot.
When I get home from an outing, I tend to copy all files to the same hard drive folder, generated from date and location.
Having recently taken delivery of a new E-M1 Mk2, I re-formatted all my cards and wandered out looking at dragonflies. On returning home I found I'd got three different photos all with the same filename P900001; fortunately I realised and put them in different folders, where I used a DOS command prompt to change the numbering in bulk.

I had noticed before, that one of the firmware updates, which removed all personal settings, also re-set the file names back to the initial numbering.

Since I only use sRGB, I've currently set each of my camera bodies with a different letter prefix.

Does anyone have any better solutions?
Pretty similar to what I do. I used to specify Adobe RGB colour space but, as Invicta points out above, that imposes some restrictions on what you can rename to. I like having the date as part of the file name, and the colour space setting only affects the JPEG files. I only use raw so I switched back to sRGB and just change the first letter to be unique for each new body. I'm up to H now

I also prefer to let the sequence number run on rather than resetting.

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th August 2019)