View Single Post
Old 4th June 2019

Liked 2,519 Times in 1,651 Posts
Re: W10 peek-a-boo for Junes update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I was always led to believe that the Windows Product Key(s) OS and or Office products and product keys from A N Others, were encrypted and stored deep within the Windows Registery?

I do know that windows can detect the information but didn't think even MS or any other supplier would be able to access the BIOS? If correct, then it is basically another back door to be misused and abused which, in itself, is worrying?

If you're correct, then I've learned something new.
They are, but if you format, re-partition or replace the hard drive then that information will be lost.

What we are talking about is Microsoft's ability to identify machines where Windows has been previously installed and licenced. My understanding is that Microsoft associates the machine's serial number, MAC address and other data with a previous licensed installation, in which case this data is stored on their servers, but there is no need to write to the BIOS.

The alternative proposed here is that Microsoft's serial number is stored in the BIOS. That may well be possible, and might explain how some OEM machines can have a variety of OS's installed from the OEM installation disks without ever entering an activation code.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing