View Single Post
Old 17th August 2017

Liked 3,378 Times in 1,818 Posts
Larva of Elephant Hawk-moth [i]Deilephila porcellus[/i]

This is the brown form. There is also a green form. Apparently, the larvae can easily be found when feeding at night.

For several years, I would find one of these either walking across the ground or on a food plant in our garden. Then there was a gap of several years. Yesterday I found another one crossing our concrete , path, from the direction of a lawn, towns a flower bed.

I was carrying a large bowl of pears from our tree so, with the bowl in one hand and the caterpillar in the other, I went to fetch my camera. I found it easier to let the larva perch on the front of my shirt. When I picked it up, and immediately after subsequent handling, it writhed violently on the palm of my hand and then became very still, with its head scarcely protruding. Long periods of the session were spent waiting for it to stretch out and walk. Even the slightest vibration form the wooden table where took most photographs would freeze it.

I considered using flash but I am trying to take more daylight shots.

Olympus EM-1, Oshiro 2:1 60mm macro, f8 or f11at up to 1/640 second ISO 1600, hand-held with support.

I will post crosseye stereos tomorrow.

Harold

Jim Ford (17th August 2017), shotokan101 (18th August 2017)