Thread: E-P1 second try
View Single Post
Old 5th February 2011

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts
Re: E-P1 second try

Hello and welcome to one of the friendliest photo forums on the internet; hopefully you will decide to stay around.

I must admit, the GX200 is a cracking little camera. I bought one as a backup camera before we went to Jordan/Syria a couple of years ago. The lens quality is stunning for a zoom point and shoot, and the sensor does show good detail and a pleasing appearance. For reasons beyond my control, it was the only camera I took in the end, (in spite having the E-3 and a 3 lenses packed ready to go.)

I've only recently picked up the E-P1 myself and not really had chance to have a play with it properly yet. Certainly from my initial impressions, it's capable of outstanding quality itself. I really would give yours a fair crack of the whip and learn how to get the best out of it before sending it off to ebay too rashly. It may be that the Apple software doesn't do it justice at default settings.

The biggest disadvantage to me about the GX200 is the speed which noise increases with raising of ISO. Base ISO is 64, and I found that noise much above 100 started to get objectionable. (Some folks complain about 4/3s sensor noise, just try one of these!) From my perspective, It's a real shame that they didn't keep it down to about 8M Pixels. Also its a fixed zoom lens from 24-72mm EFL in 35mm film terms; quite a narrow range. I knew all this when I bought it and have no regrets in doing so; I love it for a small landscape and general purpose camera. The other thing I like, is the clip on EVF which proved indispensable in bright desert conditions.

The E-P1 is well capable of working at high ISOs and has native lenses available for it from 14-600mm EFL and bright lenses as well; F 0.95 in the case of the Nokton. It's also capable of handling the full range of Olympus 4/3s lenses via an adaptor as well as lots of legacy lenses including tilt/shift.
The Image stabilisation works well enough, though I must admit that the software stab on the GX200 is something to behold. I've regularly got pretty sharp shots at 1/2 second without too much effort.

I'm pleased enough with the sensor an my E-620 and have no reason to think that the E-P1 will be any less capable. I'm still not sure myself how I will get on with the lack of an EVF, but I didn't want to go to great expense buying into MFT with a new E-P2 and then not get along with the concept; I dropped on a used E-P1 at a good price, which I know I can sell it for. Similarly with the 20mm pancake and 14-140mm Panasonic lens. I'm itching to get out for a proper play so I can come to a long term decision myself.

Despite their similarities, they really are quite different beasts, only you can know which is more suited to your purposes, but good luck with your choice.
At the end of the day, the best camera for you, is the one you actually carry when you spot the photo opportunity.

The Jordan, Syria and Bulgarian Flickr galleries in my signature were all taken on the GX200.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!