View Single Post
Old 29th August 2008
dennisg

Re: Nikon and Canon pursue more competition.

The lens, kit lens, has built in stabilization capabilty although this makes the lens heavier and more expensive. The 12.3 Megapixel size can be overcome by cropping properly in the view finder. I found that whe I went from the typical 2:3 in 35 mm to the 4:3 in the 4/3s I had to make some adjustments as well. The delta between 4.5 and 5.0 Fps is minimal also.

The difference here is that when the price point and options are reviewed, it will be certainly easier to convince someone buying an upgrade to buy the Nikon for $1299 American vs buying the E-3 for $1600 American. The water proofing is a good thing but in the 30 plus years that I shot frames I have been through a lot of undersirable situations and never had a rig fail. So unless you take a lot of nature-beach scenes, I just wonder how much of that is really critical in making a choice. Sometimes some precautions can go a long way.

My feeling is that Olympus is going to get off it's seat and will start to push the envelope too. The cost for components should decrease as more of these will be used in the futher change to digital photography. Thus maybe Olympus will use this as leasons learned and meet the challenge.

Last the HD streaming, well I cannot say anything on that, but is sure seems to be a nice addition and none of the Oly rigs have it. We do know the the micro 4/3 rigs will. But will they be up to the same quality? I don't know.

So here we are in a very exciting situation where the technology and capabilities are turning over more than two to three times per year. Where when we shot with 35 mm we were lucky to see one turn every year. Is this good or bad for the consumer? It will depend on what the offerings are, what the price point is, and how much the consumer wants to take out of their pockets.

So far I am very satisfied with the E520 over my E500, but I would really like to see the Dynamic Range upped at least 1 stop. This will certainly improve the overall performance and really take photography to a differnt level.

Stay tuned!

Dennis G