View Single Post
Old 4th November 2018

Liked 194 Times in 132 Posts
Re: Tony Northrup believes micro-four-thirds is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
So much of what I say is incorporated in that response. Especially the out of focus “fad” that has grabbed people’s attention in much the same way as HDR and tone mapping did, to the point where the RPS banned it...
I think if you read photography books from the 1960s, then high depth of field was considered a good thing. They used to say that in good light you can use a narrow aperture and everything will be in focus; if the light is poor you have to use a wider aperture and the problem with that is that some areas of your photo could be blurred!.

Low depth of field and having areas out of focus is a more recent and slightly mystifying fashion. If you were a painter then you can freely make some parts of an image blurred and other parts sharp. If you're a photographer with a very wide aperture lens you can only make the choices about which bits to be blurred based on distance from the camera. I'm no expert in post processing software but I expect you can (or will soon be able to) add blur or "bokeh" after the event to any parts of the image you choose, if you or your audience happen to like that effect.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (5th November 2018)