View Single Post
Old 24th August 2018

Liked 1,759 Times in 649 Posts
Re: Nikon Mirrorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
There's nothing special about any particular sensor size - it's just down to square mm. I guess FF has stuck since the 135/35mm format brought with it a huge catalogue of lenses and lens designs that could be drawn on. FF is also arguably a sweet spot of size/IQ that still seems to work today.

On the narrower point of these new Nikon cameras, I have a colleague who is a big Nikon DSLR fan - D850 and D500 plus all the best lenses. He's tried Olympus m43 but couldn't cope with the loss of IQ (he's a big pixel peeker ). He doesn't get these new Z cameras at all - his point is that although the body is a little smaller than the equivalent Nikon DSLRs, the lenses are just as big. He also thinks that for sport (he does a lot rugby shooting) his D500 is still head-and-shoulders above what any mirrorless can do. I think he's got that right actually.

I suspect these new FF mirrorless cameras will mean that Nikon will lose interest in their APSC DSLRs. I can't imagine them being able to simultaneously advance FF DSLRs, FF mirrorless and APSC DSLRs. I suspect the same might be true for Canon, whose EOS-M (crop APSC) seems to be doing very well. I can see that replacing their crop consumer DSLRs pretty quickly.
My expectation s that they'll get the 35mm mirrorless camera established, then develop an APSC version and drop the APSC DSLR, I am assuming of course that the existing lens portfolio most users have invested in will carry over.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...