View Single Post
Old 11th October 2008
Henk

Re: How do you shoot, jpg, RAW or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
This touches on a good point - why do the Raw shooters choose Raw.

Certainly on the E-3 rarely do I need alter the colour temperature to get it right, the camera does a very good job on its own and I would guess that well less than 1 in every 100 shots needs amendment for that reason.

I choose RAW

1) because I do not want the camera throwing away any information without my explicit and considered say-so. I paid for those pixels and I want to play with them.

2) because if I'm going to do a major change to colour tone by playing with the temperature then I want to do it before the camera has made judgements about compression etc. Why do I want to make these changes - well almost always for 'artistic reasons' - because I want a warmer/colder colour interpretation. Analagous to making a choice about film stock or colour filter - but done in the warm without fiddling about in the field.

3) because, on the rare occaisions I take what by my standards is a really good shot then I'll want to process it as a tiff to retain as much information as possible. Other shots I'll process as jpg (but with the raw files as a 'security'), to keep down disc usage.

4) Because raw processors such as RawTherapee can let you pull back some highlight information which gets lost in in-camera conversion.

But of course there isn't a 'correct' choice. It's what suits you and your requirements/style of working.

Nick
Besides the reasons Nick already mentioned I shoot raw and archive my orfs, so when new generations of raw developers appear I can get even more out of some raws. I did so with E-500 orfs which developed much nicer in the latest versions of Olympus Studio etc.

Henk