View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I've used Olympus u43 for some time and I really don't agree with your view on this. Manual focusing of lenses like the 17 is sort of pointless IMHO since AF is so good.

As others have said, the clutch is really designed for zone focusing (for "street shooting"). If you really want manual focus then buy a Voigtlander 17.5. That's a much better option if MF is really your thing. However, Olympus's focus aid implementation lacks a " picture in picture " magnified area which to me makes it a pretty crude implementation. Panasonic do a much better one, as do Fuji.
AF is really quick on the Oly 17 and also on the Panny 15, but really quick isn't quick enough for street. Only zone cuts the mustard.

In general the trouble using AF lenses in MF mode is the short focus throw. For accurate MF, it's desirable to have as large a throw as possible (as long as doesn't exceed 360 degrees ). However the AF system needs a short focus throw for speed of focus acquisition and the two needs are mutually incompatible.

on flickr