View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I've used Olympus u43 for some time and I really don't agree with your view on this. Manual focusing of lenses like the 17 is sort of pointless IMHO since AF is so good. You say you don't like AF because you don't want to move the focus point around - but it's the same with MF really since unless you magnify the point you're focusing on the process is not sufficiently accurate. Peeking on the non-magnified view isn't a reliable-enough method. You need to use it on the magnified view, but even then even Olympus in the manual play down its accuracy.

As others have said, the clutch is really designed for zone focusing (for "street shooting"). If you really want manual focus then buy a Voigtlander 17.5. That's a much better option if MF is really your thing. However, Olympus's focus aid implementation lacks a " picture in picture " magnified area which to me makes it a pretty crude implementation. Panasonic do a much better one, as do Fuji.
AF is so good, but the problem is that you are still relying on the camera to choose precisely what it is that you want to focus on. To me it's just annoying most of the time. Kind of like messing around with exposure compensation - take control of the camera, have it manual and it's never needed. With the OMD 1 MKii if you are in MF then you can have it set so that the moment you touch the focus ring magnification kicks in (unless the MF clutch is engaged of course!). There's a ridiculous autofocus feature on this camera where you can choose a focus point and then zoom in in that point and then choose another focus point with in that so that you get a more accurate focus point for what you want. By the time you've done all a quick twist of the focus ring in manual, a split second you're bang on.
At the end of the day each to their own. Because of AF a lot of people don't even try manual focusing. It's far superior in my opinion and I'm sure that if people tried it many would not go back.

I totally agree with you about Voigtlander 17.5, but I have chosen this camera so I have a light weight alternative to carrying around my DSLR system or medium format film cameras. I'm probably expecting too much of a Micro 4/3 system to behave like a professional tool.