View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Can I please just check if that is also true if you have cards in both slots, but have the camera set only to use the second slot after filling the card in the first?
My limited testing so far does not indicate that there is a hard dependency across the cards. As I mentioned earlier, I'm finding that the write speed on some Sandisk Ultra cards is terrible compared to their Extreme version. If I put Ultra cards in both slots with the camera configured to write to slot 1 then it's slow. If I replace the Ultra in slot 1 with an Extreme but leave the Ultra in slot 2 then it speeds up significantly.

My assumption is that if the camera is configured to write to both cards simultaneously then obviously you'll be constrained by the slowest card; and that there will be certain other operations that read both cards too (for example at startup time) where you'll also be constrained by the slowest card.

I'm going to order some UHS-II cards - as others have said spending a wad of cash on a class-leading piece of portable electronics and then cobbling its performance with cheap cards doesn't make a lot of sense.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th March 2019)