Thread: Falconry Day
View Single Post
Old 10th March 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: Falconry Day

It was rather a day of reckoning for me. In the dim and distant past I've photohraphed birds of prey in flight at similar falconry displays with a modest degree of success. This time I was rubbish. Or it could be the camera; this time I was using an E-M5 whilst before it was an E-3. Tempting though it is to blame my equipment, I have to be honest and admit it is a measure of my physical deterioration. For a start, most of the time I couldn't react fast enough to acquire the bird in the frame, and when I did my panning ability was woeful.

Initially I was using a 75-300mm borrowed from Ian, which is almost an exact equivalent of the 70-300mm that served me so well on the E-3. However, it quickly became apparent that I no longer have the ability to use a lens of this magnification. Even with IS switched on the viewfinder image was juddering like a reed in a gale. I decided to sacrifice magnification for usability and reverted to my own 40-150mm, which was a little easier for me to control. I did get the impression that even if my own ability had not deteriorated the E-3 would still have been better for this type of subject but it's now clear to me that this is academic because realistically my BIF days are over.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the day or the challenge; on the contrary, it was great fun and nice to meet some new faces as well as familiar ones. Here are a few that I salvaged from the train wreck of my memory card.

First, a couple of some of the group in action:

Getting down low for the best angle

I can take 'em if they're sitting still!

Just to prove that I can still get an occasional sharp BIF - well almost!

At the end of the day, relaxing with a coffee. Also an opportunity for me to have a quick play with the 17mm f1.8, courtesy of Ian. Seems to be a great little lens that would be ideal for street work.

Many thanks to Ian, Andy and the great folk at Fens Falconry for a really enjoyable and rewarding day.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Last edited by Ian; 10th March 2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: 17mm f/1.8 not f/2.8
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (11th March 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Barr1e (10th March 2014)