View Single Post
Old 16th May 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts
Re: Is this as good as I will get?

Hmmm, I am not totally convinced by the Kodak v Panasonic sensor debate. Sure, when I got my E-500 (my first DSLR) I was bowled over by the colours and I was happy to accept that this was due to the Kodak sensor. However, since then I have progressed through the E-510 to the E-3 (both Panasonic sensors) and, to me, the colour characteristics remain essentially the same. Having said that, I do not like the colours from my G1.

So what is different? I'm now inclined to think that the Olympus colours are more a product of the (Olympus) processors rather than the sensors, and this should be broadly maintained as long as Olympus keep the same colour profiles each time they upgrade the processor.

It's an interesting debate, maybe we need a seperate thread on it. When I have some spare time I might just dig the E-500 out of retirement (borrow it back from my daughter) and directly compare it with the E-3.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau