View Single Post
Old 19th January 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,562 Times in 2,170 Posts
Re: Is there a soundproof room where I can scream, scream, scream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Is full-frame the same as whole-plate? If so, then yes, I would like to see Olympus fit a whole-plate sensor into a 6 inch wide body. That would be really something.
Ah yes, the "full frame of what?" question. Logically, if used as a general photographic term, it must relate to the largest standard commercially produced format, which I believe is 10x8 inches.

There are all sorts of large and medium formats below that before you get down to 35mm or equivalent, correctly known as miniature format. Digital cameras based on and developed from that format are indeed "full frame" if they have a sensor area of 36mm x24mm. Many, however, have a sensor equivalent in size to APS-C film and are correctly termed "cropped sensor" because they still use lenses and a mount designed to cover the 35mm format from which they are derived.

Four Thirds is a completely different format and all current cameras designed for that format use a full size sensor and purpose designed lenses with a corresponding image circle, therefore are "full frame." Micro Four Thirds is a bit of a misnomer because there is nothing "micro" about the sensor, it is still full frame for the format. "Micro" applies to the reduced size of the bodies and lenses made possible by dispensing with the mirror and prism viewing system.

Now although cameras like the Nikon D7000, which uses an APS-C sized sensor but the same mount and lenses as Nikon's "full frame" cameras, is correctly termed "cropped sensor," cameras such as the new Fuji X1 pro which use the same size sensor but are purpose designed with matching lenses for that format are in fact full frame.

Confusing isn't it? Which is why I dislike the term "full frame" and even more so the way it is commonly and incorrectly used as some sort of proof of a camera's worth.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
cinders (19th January 2012), Greytop (19th January 2012), TRIPLEPOT (19th January 2012)