View Single Post
Old 26th February 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: In praise of Tarkovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
Thanks Steve, Tarkovsky is one of my favourite directors along with Herzog. Sadly, the book is a bit pricey, but nice to bookmark the web page. There was a season last year on Film4, it was great to catch up on Stalker again. It burns into your brain. The Polaroids mean more if you are familiar with his films, which are about as far from Hollywood cobblers as you can get. Bit of an acquired taste though.
Much too expensive for me as well; so a mental note to myself to look out for a pricing error in a second hand book store, or somewhere. It would be so nice to hold the book and view the images as reflected light.

It amazes me how some artists have the ability to communicate visually. I've been doing this photography long enough to realise I'm nothing more than a 'snapper', with little chance of progressing much further.

I keep returning to this statement by Tarkovsky, as it's quite deep to understand
"Never try to convey your idea to the audience,” said Russian filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky, “—it is a thankless and senseless task. Show them life, and they’ll find within themselves the means to assess and appreciate it.”

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bruce Clarke (26th February 2019), drmarkf (26th February 2019)