View Single Post
Old 12th May 2013

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts
Re: Dothill Pool and Tee Lake

Thank you for all the positive feedback, I am enjoying going over for a stroll now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
You can keep this thread going as long as you like as far as I'm concerned Tim.

Your "local patch on the doorstep" is turning out to be a real gem. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker...Wow.

If you can find time to keep your County Recorder/BTO updated with sightings and counts that would be a fantastic contribution to conservation.
The threat of building development is worrying as this sounds like a site that needs protecting for the future. It might be worth contacting you local Wildlife Trust http://www.shropshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/ who should have an interest in such issues.

Looking forward to seeing more from your "gem"

It appears that the Shropshire Wildlife Trust are aware of the area:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trust is looking for funding to gather information and data on wildlife in Telford, with the aim of identifying the most important habitats.

Dothill could be awarded Local Nature Reserve status
Parts of Dothill and Apley could be two of the contenders. Shropshire Wildlife Trust is currently pressing for Dothill to be awarded Local Nature Reserve (LNR) status. Meanwhile, Apley's woodland and pool have also proved popular with local residents.
Much has already been achieved in the area, as well as projects with schools, the trust launched Wrekin Forest Volunteers, who have been looking after areas around the Ercall and Wrekin, as well as further afield.
Project officer Pete Lambert was also cautious about what the scale of the planned housing might mean for Telford wildlife: "We've got some sites protected. Other sites are just hanging on there, little-known, unsurveyed, very vulnerable to development."
Mr Lambert singled out Langley Fields as one of the most vulnerable sites under current proposals.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears funding is the issue, as it is with many of these things I imagine.

I have also found out there is a local nature committee too run by our local MP.
I have lived in Stokesay Road for 16 years and I know Dothill very well. I am retired and will be available to deal with your problems at all times.

I am the Chairman of the Dothill Local Nature Reserve Committee which, with the assistance of Shropshire Wildlife Trust and Telford & Wrekin Council, is in the process of protecting the green area between Dothill and Shawbirch from any more building so that it remains an attractive part of Dothill.

I have also been researching the area too, it appears that the area used to be a Deer Park and the two pools used to be ornamental fish lakes in the gardens of the local Manor House which was destroyed in the 50's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
The Following User Says Thank You to timmypreston For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (12th May 2013)