View Single Post
Old 30th March 2010
ChiTowndude

Re: E-420 Taking pictures in dark? and focus lag (complete novice)

Reading the above posts, I'm encouraged and hope to find some help here. I'm a newbie to DSLR, mostly because of my past philosophy that "If you don't have a camera with you, you can't get the picture" and DSLRs simply are too bulky and a nuisance dangling around the neck. However, now that photos are displayed on HDTVs, quality is becoming more important to me.

I got lucky and got a used Olympus Evolt e-420 with the Zuiko 25mm pancake. It's actually possible to have a somewhat bulking hip bag for this item and it's the most portable DSLR I've seen.

Aside from being overwhelmed by all the options, though, I've hit a serious wall that might cause me to return it and give up on DSLRs. Last night, I wanted to photograph the moon rising over Lake Michigan. The camera could not focus in auto mode nor in night scene mode, and try as I might, I could not get the shot. If there was a way to set the AF to infinity while in night scene, that would have been great, but I can't see it.

In fact, I can't see an easy way to switch to manual focus at all. Grabbing the manual focus ring in various scene modes seems to do nothing at all. I could really use some help. Thanks in advance to anyone with advice.